WireWheel is revolutionizing the area of privacy and data protection by helping companies to build and manage cutting-edge and scalable privacy programs. Recognized by IDC Marketplace, Forrester, and Gartner as a leader in worldwide data privacy management software, our cloud-based Data Privacy & Protection Platform is built by privacy experts using industry best practices to help organizations simplify, structure, and automate their approach to privacy program management. We help companies comply with today’s California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and EU General Data Privacy Regulation (GDPR) requirements and remain ready for any future regulatory regimes.
We are seeking a Vice President (VP) of Software Engineering to further evolve our software stack, architecture, development process, and engineering team & culture. This highly visible leadership role sits at the intersection of technology and business, and the right candidate will bring to the position both technical excellence and sound business savvy, as well as a history of successfully managing engineering teams within B2B organizations.
As VP of Software Engineering, you will design, recruit and empower a team of innovative and mission-driven engineers, while mentoring and guiding them in alignment with our technical and strategic roadmap. You will partner with other leaders, Product Team, Professional Services, and other stakeholders to establish company strategy and roadmaps; collaborate cross-functionally to align priorities, build consensus, manage expectations, and escalate engineering considerations and contingencies.
This role will report to the Chief Technology Officer and be based at our Arlington, VA office. We pride ourselves on our collaborative, egalitarian, supportive engineering culture, and expect the VP of Software Engineering to continue fostering it.
This means you will:
- Uphold and further build upon a strong, progressive engineering culture that values among other things diversity, trust, efficiency, technical ownership, and accountability; cultivate an environment that spawns innovation, surfaces the best ideas, and attracts & retains top talent
- Lead delivery of all new consumer, enterprise, and internal products, features, and applications across all of WireWheel's current and future platforms including desktop, mobile, and connected devices
- Ensure systems infrastructure scales to appropriately support development activity and rapid product adoption
- Strategically evaluate, recommend, and successfully introduce new technologies & software development practices and methodologies
- Demonstrate, recognize, advocate for, invest in, and demand technical excellence
- Deliver results in the fast pace of a growing startup while always treating team members and colleagues with empathy & humanity
What we’re looking for:
- BA/BS degree or equivalent years of experience
- 8-10 years of experience building and leading cohesive, highly productive engineering teams building cloud-based services and high-volume and highly complex software products
- Prior experience in a VP Engineering or equivalent role
- Knowledgeable of MongoDB, Ruby on Rails, React, and Python
- Indisputable technical chops; you've advanced or made notable contributions to the developer community during your career, and your domain expertise motivates & sets the standard for the people you lead
- Acute business acumen; both breadth & depth when it comes to understanding a business, and the ability and inherent desire to make technical decisions within the larger context of company objectives
- Decisiveness; when making technical decisions, you carefully weigh trade-offs between functionality, quality, and technical debt, and inspire confidence & buy-in from both engineers and business leaders for your solutions
- Experience leading and/or developing enterprise systems and applications at scale
- Excellent interpersonal skills & ability to effectively communicate with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Experienced at organizing agile software teams to deliver high-quality software
- Passion for our mission, sustainability, and helping drive a clean-energy future
- Prior experience managing a distributed and/or remote workforce
- Experience in the data privacy industry
People are what make WireWheel awesome. Regardless of age, education, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or any personal characteristics, we want everyone to feel welcome. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive equal opportunity workplace everyone can call home.