Senior Program Officer, Water
Winrock International’s Clean Energy, Environment & Water group’s portfolio of water projects includes several internationally funded projects undertaking a wide range of activities, including water resource management (WRM), WASH, water governance, water security, and Multiple-use water Services (MUS) programs at the community, province and national levels. The Snr. Program officer position entails a combination of technical oversight and input, project management, and business development. The Snr. Program Officer will lead home office support for technical aspects of complex projects, including coaching junior staff. The Sr. Program Officer will also contribute to financial and operational support of the projects and the overall growth of Winrock’s water and sanitation portfolio through strategic planning, coordination across Winrock program units, and new business development focusing on water security, resilience, and/or sanitation projects in developing countries.
Technical assignments (45%)
- Contribute technical inputs to projects within area of expertise. This may include leading technical design of projects, work planning, quality control of reports and deliverables, and managing technical teams in the field.
- Analyze project successes to build on lessons learned.
- Stay abreast of international water and sanitation activities, programs and funding opportunities
- Speak at conferences or other events on technical water issues to help demonstrate Winrock’s expertise in water.
Project Implementation and Management (30%)
- Manage aspects of large multidisciplinary and complex international development projects. This includes financial, technical and innovative oversight and leadership; development of workplans and budgets; financial analysis and planning; personnel coordination and recruitment; project mobilization and close out.
- Supervise junior staff, administrative staff and partner relationships as assigned.
- Ensure staff and consultants follow WI operational policy and procedures on projects.
- Oversee the preparation and distribution of financial reports to USAID and other donors.
- Manage assigned project staff, potentially including Chief(s) of Party.
New Business Development (20%)
- Work with the CEEW new business team and lead new business efforts to identify, track, and provide technical input and advice on opportunities to expand Winrock’s water practice across the key areas. This includes strategic planning, gap assessments, promoting organization-wide coordination, competition analysis new business capture and intelligence gathering, and support donor and partner relationship.
- Maintain close communication and liaison with donors to manage projects and develop new business.
- Serve as technical lead, lead writer, or proposal lead for Winrock proposals, including technical program design and contributing to budget development.
Other Responsibilities (5%)
- Contribute to institutional strategic planning exercises and group level strategy, including supporting goals and objectives of the CEEW work plan.
- Communicate to internal and external audiences effectively across different technical areas, convening teams appropriately.
- Perform related tasks as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Physical Sciences plus a Master’s degree (PhD preferred) in Water Resource Management, International Development Public Administration or related field.
- At least 10 years of progressive experience in water resource management (WRM), WASH, water governance, water security, and/or Multiple-use water Services (MUS) programs. Field experience strongly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to work with public and private funding organizations.
- Proven experience managing large international projects.
- Experience working on USAID funded projects is preferred, and experience with other donors is desired.
- Demonstrated international experience in Africa and/or Asia is strongly desired.
- Demonstrated skills in project planning and budgeting.
- Demonstrated communication skills (written and oral) including interacting with donors, preparing proposals, and public speaking.
- Excellent organizational skills essential, including ability to coordinate a variety of tasks, meet deadlines, work effectively under pressure, and work as team player.
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks.
- Team player and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and cross-cultural skills.
- Demonstrated strong analytical capability and problem-solving abilities required.
- English professional-level oral and written fluency required.
- Fluency in French or another relevant language to do business in Africa or Asia strongly preferred.
- Must be willing and able to travel without dependents to remote locations both domestically and internationally, including complex operating environments.
- Must not require sponsorship to work in the US.
Winrock International is an equal opportunity employer.