The Government Communications Expert will help build the capacity of government agencies in Papua and West Papua to develop communication materials for the general public to inform people about their services and to increase awareness about gender-based violence (GBV).
USAID Bersama (Bersama) is a five-year USAID funded project based in Jayapura, working in Papua and West Papua Indonesia in eastern Indonesia. The project is helping government entities implement their communication strategies which may include developing referral information through pamphlets and posters, increase people’s awareness about GBV, through posters, brochures within their service centers and inform the public about their services. In addition, Bersama will support the government to plan and facilitate events around internationally and locally recognized days (such as International Women’s Day) to raise awareness. The project is working primarily with departments of women’s empowerment and child protection, and plan to work with other auxiliary agencies at the provincial and district level. Each department may have different messaging and their own priorities.
The Government Communications Expert will work with relevant r government agencies (women and child protection agency at provincial and district level) to discuss their communication priorities and help implement their priorities. them for various campaigns. This will include developing agreed upon communications (pamphlets, posters, social media and radio announcements) to inform the public about their services, referrals and awareness. The materials/products incorporate locally appropriate graphics that will communicate relevant messages effectively to populations who are illiterate or have low literacy levels, and Bahasa speakers. The consultant will also look into how anti-GBV messaging can be integrated into existing campaigns (such as health campaigns).
- Review communication strategies and plans/priorities
- Work with government agencies to agree on specific materials and finalize the wording/content of agreed upon materials. Materials may include flow chart, brochure, poster, audio-visual content etc,
- Conduct field testing of materials
- Develop budget for producing materials
- Design and layout the content (appropriate for the local context)
- Identify local graphic artist to help illustrate communication materials.
- Obtain necessary approvals from government
Education: Master’s level degree required in social sciences or communications with experience in gender, and communications
Required Work Experience:
- Demonstrated experience developing successful and effective communications strategies
- Knowledge and experience working with government agencies
- Fluency in and English required
- Understanding of GBV sensitivities, required
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Ability to produce quality products within time
- Acute attention to detail.
- Understanding of Papua and West Papua cultures
LEVEL OF EFFORT: Up to 42 days