The Deputy Chief of Party will be responsible for implementing for a high-quality, results-oriented project focused on improving quality of education for children and youth in Cox’s Bazar. The Deputy Chief of Party will work with the COP to oversee the implementation of literacy and teacher training activities, work to strengthen local communities and government capacity to increase access to quality education, as well as activities to help schools prepare for natural disasters in Cox’s Bazar.
The position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
The Deputy Chief of Party is responsible for technical project management, supervision, and implementation of a high-quality program. S/he will ensure that all agreement deadlines are met and targets are achieved; coordinate and maintain working relationships with project stakeholders (including government and private industry stakeholders, subgrantees and/or subcontractors); lead collaborative initiatives with private companies; and lead the preparation technical deliverables.
* Provide overall activity oversight to achieve project results;
* Provide supervision, support, and direction to project- technical staff, subcontractors, and short-term consultants to ensure effective project implementation across deliverables;
* Identify and mitigate project risk;
* Participate in regular field visits to the project areas to assure project progress towards activity objectives and goals;
* Oversee literacy and teacher training activities in target school communities;
* Oversee the program’s sustainability strategy working with local government, school communities and teachers to maintain access to quality education;
* Oversee programs activities to increase school preparedness for emergencies and natural disasters
* Oversee the program’s sustainability strategy, including local capacity building and private sector engagement;
* Other duties as assigned.
* Provide technical assistance, support, and oversight to partner NGOs and CSOs;
* Provide technical assistance, support, and information to national and local government officials;
Successful candidates will have strong management skills as well as relevant experience implementing education and literacy programs, preferably in Southeast Asia. Specific experience and specialization in the areas of literacy, teacher training, school feeding, creating/maintaining partnerships with local government, communities and CSOs; additional experience addressing disparities and access to girls’ education is strongly desired. Significant project management experience and leadership is highly desired.
Education: Master’s level degree required in international development, education, political science, or a relevant social science discipline.
Technical Applicants must have a minimum of 8 years’ experience working on education programs, including a minimum of 4 years’ of demonstrated managerial and/or technical team leadership experience.
Experience in the Southeast Asia region is required, and Bangladesh strongly preferred.
* Experience managing to the highest ethical standards international projects
* Demonstrated leadership and administrative skills in the management of complex, multi-activity programming, on time and on budget.
* Demonstrated success in motivating and supervising diverse teams of employees.
* Experience in strategic planning and implementation of strategic plans.
* Experience designing and implementing or overseeing monitoring and evaluation systems.
* Experience integrating gender and private sector engagement into development programming is preferred.
* The proposed candidate’s experience and education are complementary to those of other proposed candidates.
* Knowledge or understanding of social, economic, and political context governing youth, education, and nutrition issues in developing countries.
* Experience providing support to formal and informal education programs, leadership trainings, and local organization capacity building.
* Knowledge of US Government regulations, policies, and procedures or those of an equivalently complex international government funding organization.
* Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills, creative problem solving, conflict, and ethical management skills.
* Fluency in English, and Bengali preferred.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Computer literate in word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software (Microsoft).