Location & Flexibility
Our Lead Usability Researcher (Mixed-Methods) will be an integral part of our team at WillowTree. To help retain our deep culture of collaboration both among ourselves and our clients, this role will maintain an in-office presence in a hybrid (Work From Near) capacity. Please indicate which of our available office location(s) you're interested in via the application form below.
Who We Are
WillowTree is an award-winning digital product agency driven by innovation and grounded in strategy and user-centered design. We create long-term partnerships with the world’s leading brands to design and build digital flagship products crucial to their core business. WillowTree is continuing to grow and thrive as the largest independent agency in the US. Some of our clients include HBO, National Geographic, Anheuser-Busch, and PepsiCo.
Come lead and define a new part of the product research practice at WillowTree. As the Lead Usability Researcher, you will collaborate with the Director of Product Research to define our rapid usability process and practice. As you design and execute on both quantitative and qualitative testing, you will make a direct impact on a wide variety of digital products. You will also coach and support design and development teams as they execute on their own testing. In addition, you will coach subsequent hires as they skill up their research and testing abilities.
We understand our responsibility to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive place within the tech industry, while pushing to make our industry more representative. Because of this responsibility, we need candidates who value diversity and inclusion through their work, team collaboration, or mentorship.
- Design and execute end-to-end qualitative and quantitative usability testing to influence business and product decisions, considerate of rigor, timeline and scope
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams of software engineers, strategists, analytics architects, and designers to identify important research questions and implement user-centered research methods that translate to digital design recommendations
- Define repeatable processes that facilitate speed to results and allow design and development teams to execute testing, when appropriate
- Support project teams with logistics and coaching needed to conduct usability testing
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to prepare client-facing presentations of research findings that are clear and actionable
- Identify, select, and maintain the appropriate tooling and software needed to support a world-class usability testing practice
- Build trust and credibility with team members through empathy and open communication
- Advocate for research best practices across the company
- Coach early career usability testers on the team
- Degree in Human Factors, Human Computer Interaction, Psychology or a related field (advanced degree preferred)
- Experience leading quantitative and qualitative usability testing (minimum 2 years)
- Experience applying best practices in interviewing and moderating techniques.
- Ability to apply experimental design and statistical analysis (e.g.; T-tests, ANOVA, confidence intervals) and consideration of appropriate sampling and segmentation techniques to quantitative studies.
- Experience conducting research in support of digital product development or innovation
- Knowledge of a wide range of testing methodologies and the ability to design studies involving experimental design, task analysis, training, time lags, user impressions, and usability metrics such as SEQ and SUS, etc.
- Ability to select appropriate research methods considering timelines and constraints
- Can work with cross-functional stakeholders to design research engagements to guide business and product decisions
- Can effectively recognize patterns, disentangle confounding variables, and synthesize complex information and findings into actionable and compelling insights and presentations for technical and non-technical clients and team members
- Ability to clearly communicate research decisions and findings to a non-expert audience
- Comfortable solving problems and defining processes in a fast-paced environment characterized by ambiguity and change
- Ability and desire to mentor, coach, and train team members
- Formal experience leading and mentoring teams or individuals with a focus on skill development and professional development
- Experience conducting research at a digital product agency or consultancy
- You’ve shipped products with features based on your research
Even if you don’t have expertise in all of the qualifications listed, we value new perspectives and backgrounds and encourage you to apply. We’re committed to building a diverse company that reflects the diversity of our users. We’re committed to growth-mindset.
We offer a place to be yourself.
Our differences, both visible and invisible, benefit our teams, our communities, and the products we craft. That’s why WillowTree strives to build a team with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. You’ll work hard here; however, we’ll balance that with a culture that supports your growth and cares about your well-being. We’re committed to creating an environment of inclusion — a place where every Tree can thrive.
We want you to reach your fullest potential and part of your professional development at WillowTree will include dedicated time to innovate on passion projects and an annual stipend to fund your professional pursuits.
WillowTree celebrates our differences and provides equal employment opportunities to all team members and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Diverse teams build better products. We acknowledge that the tech industry especially lacks opportunity for those who are of non-traditional backgrounds and in underrepresented groups. In order to create the best products for everyone, we know that it's important for our team to reflect the diversity of our users, and we are committed to being the change we want to see.