When team members told us they needed more flexibility around where and how they worked, we acted, creating two options to accommodate two different styles of work. One non-negotiable principle along the way? We had to retain our deep culture of collaboration, both among ourselves and with our clients. Introducing Work From Near and Work From Anywhere at WillowTree. WFN applies to roles for one of our office locations. WFA applies to Remote positions. Learn more here. Please indicate which location(s) you're interested in via the application form. If you're applying for a non-remote position and you are not currently local to the location(s), we encourage you to apply! We offer financial relocation assistance.
Who We Are
WillowTree is an award-winning digital product agency driven by innovation and grounded in strategy and user-centered design. We create long-term partnerships with the world’s leading brands to build and design digital flagship products crucial to our clients’ business needs. We’re one of the largest independent digital firms in the US and some of our clients include HBO, National Geographic, Hilton, Anheuser-Busch, PepsiCo, and more! Check out what others are saying about us.
As an Engineering Director, you’ll mentor a team of all levels to help them achieve their personal and professional goals. Your partnership and coaching skills will impact our teams, clients, and company! You’ll have clear oversight of how engineering runs day-to-day and you’ll influence project outcomes and team happiness.
- Continuously identify obstacles and improve the process of how we build software
- You’ll help your team understand changing priorities and carry out new goals
- Communicate and collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team including client and stakeholders with differing goals and backgrounds
- Embody a growth mindset and apply it in your leadership style
- Mentor others to help grow their technical and interpersonal skills
- Research new tools and technologies to help innovate your projects and teams
- 12+ years of experience in a software engineering capacity
- 3+ years of engineering leadership experience — including leading teams and developing individuals in their career
- You’re comfortable having difficult conversations and always have your clients’ and teammates’ best interests in mind
- Experience presenting complex ideas to clients and team members in a compelling and energetic way
- You’re an empathetic leader that can help find solutions if problems arise with a client
- Have a deep understanding of software engineering and established best practices
- Experience conducting 1:1s with individuals and have leadership experience
- A desire to contribute sound recommendations and influence product decisions
- Experience working with clients and project teams to produce something awesome
- You’re excited to work with a diverse team made up of various backgrounds and skill sets
- Experience leading the delivery of large and complex software projects from beginning to end in a team-based environment
- Self-aware of your limitations, yet curious to learn and grow
- A strong communicator and can navigate ambiguity
- Proficient with one or more of our core technologies (iOS, Android, Web Apps, API Engineering, Software Testing)
- You’ve worked in a client services environment (e.g. digital agency)
- Experience conducting interviews and hiring for your team
- Coaching or mentorship experience
- You’ve worked in an agile environment
- You have a GitHub account to share and while you’re there, check us out!
Even if you don’t have expertise in all of the qualifications listed, we value new perspectives and backgrounds and encourage you to apply. We’re committed to building a diverse company that reflects the diversity of our users. We’re committed to growth-mindset.
We offer a place to be yourself.
Our differences, both visible and invisible, benefit our teams, our communities, and the products we craft. That’s why WillowTree strives to build a team with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. You’ll work hard here; however, we’ll balance that with a culture that supports your growth and cares about your well-being. We’re committed to creating an environment of inclusion — a place where every Tree can thrive.
WillowTree celebrates our differences and provides equal employment opportunities to all team members and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Diverse teams build better products. We acknowledge that the tech industry especially lacks opportunity for those who are of non-traditional backgrounds and in underrepresented groups. In order to create the best products for everyone, we know that it's important for our team to reflect the diversity of our users, and we are committed to being the change we want to see.