When team members told us they needed more flexibility around where and how they worked, we acted, creating two options to accommodate two different styles of work. One non-negotiable principle along the way? We had to retain our deep culture of collaboration, both among ourselves and with our clients. Introducing Work From Near and Work From Anywhere at WillowTree. Learn more here. Please indicate which location(s) you're interested in via the application form. If you're applying for a non-remote position and you are not currently local to the location(s), we encourage you to apply! We offer financial relocation assistance.
Who We Are
WillowTree is an award-winning digital product agency driven by innovation and grounded in strategy and user-centered design. We create long-term partnerships with the world’s leading brands to build and design digital flagship products crucial to our clients’ business needs. We’re one of the largest independent digital firms in the US and some of our clients include HBO, National Geographic, Hilton, Anheuser-Busch, PepsiCo, and more! Check out what others are saying about us.
As a Senior Web Developer at WillowTree, you’ll have the opportunity to impact teammates throughout various stages of their careers. You’ll have clear oversight of how engineering runs day-to-day and will influence project outcomes.
We understand our responsibility to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive place within the tech industry, while pushing to make our industry more representative. Because of this responsibility, we need candidates who value diversity and inclusion through their work, team collaboration, or mentorship. So in your cover letter, we encourage you to reflect on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Confidently deliver high-quality software by applying critical thinking to products, requirements, and processes
- Work closely with clients to influence technical product decisions and business goals
- You’ll stay up to date with the landscape of software engineering best practices, tools, and frameworks
- Have professional programming experience— we’re thinking at least 5-8 + years
- Understanding of various software architectures and can adapt/compose solutions to unique problems with sustainable and reusable solutions
- Help mentor and coach a project team towards shared goals and outcomes
- Navigate difficult conversations by providing constructive feedback to teams and clients
- You’ll identify obstacles to ensure quality, improve our user experience and how we build software
- Self-aware of limitations, yet curious to learn new solutions while being receptive to constructive feedback from teammates
- You’ll guide your team to understand and work through changing priorities by bringing positive energy
- Communicate and simplify complex problems in order to foster understanding across multidisciplinary teams
- Apply your knowledge and findings at an organizational scale
- Able to evaluate and articulate which framework to use for a particular project
- Can articulate how users perceive performance and how to optimize their needs
- Understanding of the pros and cons of server-side and client-side rendering
- Experience as a technical leader to a team of web developers that have built and delivered a large web application
- Built and deployed complex software at scale involving at least one of our core technologies (iOS, Android, Web Apps, API Engineering)
- Owned and led the delivery of major features and components
- Experience working/communicating with clients and stakeholders while being empathetic to their needs
- You have a desire to contribute sound recommendations on technical architecture and design to your teammates and our clients in a compelling and energetic way
- You have formal or informal leadership/mentorship experience
- Proficiency using, modifying, and creating development tools that foster efficiency and improve processes
- You consider 'big picture' perspectives and can successfully balance business goals and technical constraints
- You're just as passionate about Accessibility & Usability as we are
- Expertise with advanced automation tools (e.g. virtualization, machine learning-based testing, massive parallelization)
- Basic understanding of how to design RESTful APIs that are optimized for responsive, interactive mobile experiences
- Appreciation for inclusive responsive UI implementation
- You've learned about Web Components and want to use them at work
- You’ve conducted interviews and have hired for your team
- A list of emerging technologies we’re interested in: Big Data, Machine Learning, Voice, AR/VR, Security Background, and IoT
- You have code samples or a GitHub account to share and while you’re there, check us out!
Even if you don’t have expertise in all of the qualifications listed, we value new perspectives and backgrounds and encourage you to apply. We’re committed to building a diverse company that reflects the diversity of our users. We’re committed to growth-mindset.
We offer a place to be yourself.
Our differences, both visible and invisible, benefit our teams, our communities, and the products we craft. That’s why WillowTree strives to build a team with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. You’ll work hard here; however, we’ll balance that with a culture that supports your growth and cares about your well-being. We’re committed to creating an environment of inclusion — a place where every Tree can thrive.
We want you to reach your fullest potential and part of your professional development at WillowTree will include dedicated time to innovate on passion projects and an annual stipend to fund your professional pursuits.
WillowTree upholds our core values in every aspect of our work. We promote safe and inclusive work environments and maintain a drug-free workplace. We celebrate our differences and provide equal employment opportunities to all team members and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Diverse teams build better products. We acknowledge that the tech industry especially lacks opportunity for those who are of non-traditional backgrounds and in underrepresented groups. In order to create the best products for everyone, we know that it's important for our team to reflect the diversity of our users, and we are committed to being the change we want to see.