When team members told us they needed more flexibility around where and how they worked, we acted, creating two options to accommodate two different styles of work. One non-negotiable principle along the way? We had to retain our deep culture of collaboration, both among ourselves and with our clients. Introducing Work From Near and Work From Anywhere at WillowTree. Learn more here. Please indicate which location(s) you're interested in via the application form. If you're applying for a non-remote position and you are not currently local to the location(s), we encourage you to apply! We offer financial relocation assistance.
Who We Are
WillowTree is an award-winning digital product agency driven by innovation and grounded in strategy and user-centered design. We create long-term partnerships with the world’s leading brands to build and design digital flagship products crucial to our clients’ business needs. We’re one of the largest independent digital firms in the US and some of our clients include HBO, National Geographic, Hilton, Anheuser-Busch, PepsiCo, and more! Check out what others are saying about us.
As an Associate Engineering Director, you’ll manage a team of engineers building amazing digital products for our clients, and you’ll help them achieve their personal and professional goals. You’ll also drive the team and our clients to use cutting-edge techniques and processes for software delivery, and use your technical prowess to shape the solutions we create. Success looks like an energized, happy team building high-quality software for eager, engaged client stakeholders.
We understand our responsibility to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive place within the tech industry, while pushing to make our industry more representative. Because of this responsibility, we need candidates who value diversity and inclusion through their work, team collaboration, or mentorship. So in your cover letter, we encourage you to reflect on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Are driven by curiosity and enthusiastic about learning new technologies
- Believe in autonomy and taking initiative
- Have professional engineering experience— we’re thinking at least 5 years building digital products, and at least 2 years leading a team
- Have managed a team of software engineers building digital products, and been responsible for growing the people on the team through goal-setting, coaching and feedback
- Are comfortable having difficult conversations and always have your clients’ and teammates’ best interests in mind
- Have familiarity with CI/CD, Agile techniques for managing work, pairing, mobbing, and shift-left testing
- Have owned the delivery of a complete digital product, with code that is durable, secure, scalable and thoroughly tested
- Can simplify and communicate about complex problems around technology, business processes, user experience and development tasks
- Proficient with one or more of our core technologies (iOS, Android, Web Apps, API Engineering, Software Testing)
- You’ve worked in a client services environment (e.g. digital agency)
- Experience conducting interviews and hiring for your team
- Experience consulting with teams on best practices
You’ll love this job if you...
- Are comfortable collaborating and communicating with teams and clients to deliver software in an agile environment
- Think of the product you are building as part of an ecosystem of development, testing and deployment tools and processes
- Pride yourself on your work and take responsibilities and commitments seriously
- Value daily opportunities to immerse yourself deeply in your work
- Celebrate differences and thrive in an environment where everyone’s unique contributions are encouraged
- Value a feedback culture that fosters personal and professional growth
You’ll love working at WillowTree because…
We are a fun-loving, seriously smart group of people who really care about impacting the lives of our clients. We empower our employees and teams to make decisions, take risks, drive our business and make changes when we don't get it right. These are some of the things we value:
- Exceed Client Expectations: We provide an exceptional experience to each and every client that compels them to share it with others
- Take Ownership: We are trusted to make decisions that are in the best interests of our clients and our business. We think and act like owners. We care – and that makes all the difference
- Be Curious: We are curious, ask questions, seek to understand and try new things
- Do the Right Thing: We earn trust by being transparent, respectful and honest with each person with whom we interact
- Get Results: Results fuel our excitement, and we know how our personal accomplishments tie to the success of the company
- Be Bold: We are courageous and take risks that scare us. Our enthusiasm for experimenting is how we will find the next breakthrough
What Makes WillowTree Special
We offer a place to be yourself.
Our differences, both visible and invisible, benefit our teams, our communities, and the products we craft. That’s why WillowTree strives to build a team with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. You’ll work hard here; however, we’ll balance that with a culture that supports your growth and cares about your well-being. We’re committed to creating an environment of inclusion — a place where every Tree can thrive.
We want you to reach your fullest potential and part of your professional development at WillowTree will include dedicated time to innovate on passion projects and an annual stipend to fund your professional pursuits.
WillowTree upholds our core values in every aspect of our work. We promote safe and inclusive work environments and maintain a drug-free workplace. We celebrate our differences and provide equal employment opportunities to all team members and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Diverse teams build better products. We acknowledge that the tech industry especially lacks opportunity for those who are of non-traditional backgrounds and in underrepresented groups. In order to create the best products for everyone, we know that it's important for our team to reflect the diversity of our users, and we are committed to being the change we want to see.