Location & Flexibility
Our Director, Solutions Architecture will be an integral part of our leadership at WillowTree. To help retain our deep culture of collaboration both among ourselves and our clients, this role will maintain an in-office presence in a hybrid (Work From Near) capacity. Please indicate which of our available office location(s) you're interested in via the application form below.
Who We Are
WillowTree is an award-winning digital product agency driven by innovation and grounded in strategy and user-centered design. We create long-term partnerships with the world’s leading brands to design and build digital flagship products crucial to their core business. We are one of the largest independent digital firms in the US. Some of our clients include HBO, Hilton, Nestle, PepsiCo, and many more.
WillowTree is a 8-time Inc 500/5000 company and has been featured in the Forrester Wave for mobile, digital design, and development services. Recently, we were named to Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500 for the second year in a row due to our 219% revenue growth from 2017-2019. We are also one of a few firms globally to be certified partners with Apple, Google, SAP, and Microsoft.
In November 2018, WillowTree established our first external board following our new partnership with a private equity investor group called Insignia Capital Group. Our board is highlighted by former Global Managing Partner at A.T. Kearney, Johan Aurik, and the recent addition of T-Mobile’s Chief Digital Officer (and former WillowTree client), Marcus East. These relationships have allowed us to unlock additional opportunities in the digital consultancy space and properly scale our business to meet our clients’ evolving needs.
WillowTree’s Business Development team encompasses a range of skilled professionals that drive innovation and growth on the front lines of client engagement. As a team, we rally around three distinct areas in the client journey map: Prospecting, Pursuit, and Expansion. A few responsibilities across our team include: identifying new relationships and opportunities, nurturing ongoing relationships with client partners, contracting agreements, writing proposals, pitching our services to prospective clients, and more.
As a Director, Solutions Architecture, you’ll provide continuity in pre-sale and delivery stages with our client and executive partners. You’ll leverage your software delivery experience and technical expertise to refine, architect, plan, and initiate new projects. While working with a delivery team, you’ll support in-flight projects and implement our client partner’s vision. SA Directors bring their dynamic capabilities to a variety of scenarios, such as: speaking with prospective clients about our capabilities, leading architecture and discovery projects for new client initiatives, and working with a delivery team to implement their vision. During downtime, SAs act as roving catalysts to support in-flight projects, with L&D time spent growing their technology expertise in a selected specialization (e.g. AWS).
We understand our responsibility to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive place within the tech industry, while pushing to make our industry more representative. Because of this responsibility, we need candidates who value diversity and inclusion through their work, team collaboration, or mentorship. So in your cover letter, we encourage you to reflect on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Presale: Lead scoping, technical design, and work planning during the presale process while speaking with prospective clients about your project team’s capabilities
- Delivery: Play the lead role in technical architecture and discovery projects, using consulting methods to refine the product and technical architecture of client projects
- Subject Matter Expertise: Own a “technology vertical”, encompassing solution design, platform selection, implementation support, and thought leadership (e.g. AWS, Content Management Systems, hybrid mobile frameworks, etc)
- Roving Catalyst: Enhance existing project teams with architectural account-level guidance or specific subject matter expertise
- An eye for details and an ability to navigate ambiguity
- Experience delivering software in an agency/client-service environment
- Ability to clearly break down complex ideas to both technical and non-technical individuals
- Experience having commercial conversations involving budgets and fees
- Multi-platform familiarity, with expertise in one or more of the following:
- Front-end mobile technologies (iOS, Android, Web/JS)
- Backend cloud and/or enterprise platforms (AWS/Azure)
- Content management systems, analytics platforms, and other 3rd party frameworks
- Experience with software estimation, work planning, and building project plans within time/cost constraints
- You're excited to learn the principles of mobile software development
- Experience quickly iterating and refining a product vision with a client by offering multiple approach options
- Passion to apply modern processes that transform client organizations (e.g. continuous delivery, rapid iteration, and agile-inspired methodologies)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to use repeatable frameworks and best practices to incorporate new technologies or concepts
- Appreciation for the wider client enterprise, beyond a single project or initiative
- Desire to expand an account to holistically service a client
- Equally comfortable working in pre-sale and post-sale environments
Even if you don’t have expertise in all of the qualifications listed, we value new perspectives and backgrounds and encourage you to apply. We’re committed to building a diverse company that reflects the diversity of our users. We’re committed to growth-mindset.
We offer a place to be yourself.
Our differences, both visible and invisible, benefit our teams, our communities, and the products we craft. That’s why WillowTree strives to build a team with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. You’ll work hard here; however, we’ll balance that with a culture that supports your growth and cares about your well-being. We’re committed to creating an environment of inclusion — a place where every Tree can thrive.
We want you to reach your fullest potential and part of your professional development at WillowTree will include dedicated time to innovate on passion projects and an annual stipend to fund your professional pursuits.
WillowTree upholds our core values in every aspect of our work. We promote safe and inclusive work environments and maintain a drug-free workplace. We celebrate our differences and provide equal employment opportunities to all team members and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Diverse teams build better products. We acknowledge that the tech industry especially lacks opportunity for those who are of non-traditional backgrounds and in underrepresented groups. In order to create the best products for everyone, we know that it's important for our team to reflect the diversity of our users, and we are committed to being the change we want to see.