We are looking for an Operations Engineer to join our Technical Operations team. Would you like to join the highly dynamic team that is responsible for the reliability and performance of a global top-10 website, Wikipedia?
The Technical Operations team has a very broad range of shared responsibilities. The team is globally distributed, working remotely with each other in a highly collaborative and consensus-oriented fashion. We only write and only use Open Source code wherever possible and we do the vast majority of our work in public view.
This Traffic Security position focuses more-specifically on the Security and Privacy responsibilities of our Traffic team within Operations. The Traffic team runs a private and privacy-protecting global CDN for Wikipedia and related sister projects. One of the key responsibilities of this position will be technical stewardship of our TLS termination for users at the edges of our network. We’re passionate about protecting the privacy of our users against mass surveillance and manipulation, and we expect you to share that passion. If the word “ChaCha” doesn’t make you think of dancing first, you might be the person we’re looking for!
We’d like you to do these things:
- Protect our users’ reading and editing habits from mass surveillance
- Keep our TLS infrastructure up to date in the face of evolving threats
- Keep track of the ever-changing landscape of browsers and other UAs
- Analyze and optimize our edge software infrastructure to enhance our users’ experiences
- Assess and deploy newer protocols, technologies, and software as their time becomes ripe
- Deprecate older ones in a timely manner while balancing the needs of legacy clients
- Reactively respond to, and proactively engineer against, DDoS and other attacks
- Analyze and advise on application-layer security issues exposed over HTTPS
- Other related Traffic and Security/Privacy work as required
Experience we’d like you to bring to the table:
- A deep and current understanding of TLS, HTTP[S], TCP/IP, DNS, and other related protocols
- Hands-on experience working with TLS libraries and HTTP server software configuration
- A working knowledge of modern cryptography from a systems engineering point of view
- Experience working on general infrastructure and application-layer security issues
- Experience with Open Source operations tooling for configuration management, orchestration, and monitoring.
- Experience working on Open Source operations infrastructure in general
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in related work experience
And it would be even more awesome if you have any of these:
- Experience operating TLS-terminating reverse proxy servers at global scale
- Experience operating large web properties at a global scale
- Programmer experience writing and/or modifying network daemons and/or libraries in languages such as C, C++, Go, Python, and/or Rust
- Some knowledge of Linux IPVS load-balancing
- Some knowledge of global IP routing
- Some knowledge of HTTP caching and related CDN technologies
Some public links on the current state of our TLS termination you might be interested in:
About the Wikimedia Foundation
At the Foundation, we build technology to help people everywhere access Wikipedia, across devices and in nearly 300 languages. We engineer privacy for our readers and editors so they can safely and securely explore Wikipedia. We create programs and initiatives to make Wikipedia freely available to more people in more parts of the world. We build new tools for the community of editors so they can continue to improve and grow Wikipedia. Roughly a quarter of our budget goes to supporting the community that make the site possible, including through grantmaking programs that enable volunteers and enrich the information on the sites.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location