SENIOR FINANCIAL ANALYST
Join the Wikimedia Foundation in our ambitious project to empower people to create and share the sum of all human knowledge. We are looking for a Senior Financial Analyst to join our Financial Planning & Analysis team, reporting to the Senior Manager, Finance. As the Senior Financial Analyst on the team, you will develop a comprehensive understanding of our revenue channels and grants programs and provide analytical insight into the financial data for senior executives, managers, and program owners. Your data-driven work supports our Foundation’s vision of a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. You will provide globally distributed teams across multiple continents with insightful analysis, planning and reporting support.
You will support the Foundation’s goal of becoming a model for financial planning, analysis and reporting across the Wikimedia Movement by standardizing, improving and maintaining the Foundation’s financial management practices and processes.
This role is remote and open to candidates between UTC-8 to UTC-4 (ie. Pacific daylight time to Atlantic time).
Financial Business Partnership
- Support department leadership and budget managers in operationalizing business strategies by analyzing resource plans and their alignment with our strategic business objectives.
- Facilitate department budgeting, financial modeling, forecasting, projections, and planning processes.
- Build relationships across a globally distributed organization and serve as a trusted advisor to departmental leadership.
- Support budget managers and leaders in the revenue generating teams of the Foundation, including digital fundraising, our API business, and the Wikimedia Endowment, in resource decision-making by performing data-driven analysis.
- Analyze performance of different revenue channels and develop strategic revenue plans with your business partners.
- Evaluate global grantmaking programs and synthesize information about spending with strategic grant programs and policies.
- Interpret, explain and drive performance in departments by executing month-end close reporting, forecasting and analysis processes and present insights to senior leadership.
- Use our financial reporting system to produce reports and analysis as needed.
- Establish standards for processes in the Financial Planning & Reporting system and write internal documentation of assumptions, formulas, maintenance processes, and integration with other systems.
- Develop and maintain reporting dashboards and visualization of reporting information for month-end close, program evaluation and financial planning processes.
Project and Process Management
- Support strategic projects across teams in the departments you support and in the Finance teams.
- Project manage different cross-functional projects as they arise.
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s + 5 years of relevant experience in FP&A, Business Analytics, Accounting, Program Management or similar. MBA/Master preferred.
- Experience with financial planning, analysis and reporting
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with non-finance users
- Ability to successfully self-manage multiple priorities including urgent tasks
- Function in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment
Qualities that are important to us:
- You love solving problems, and understand the connections between micro decisions and the macro systems.
- You believe in the mission of the Foundation and are excited to dig into numbers and processes to support that mission.
- You enjoy collaborating with a range of stakeholders, and you value knowledge sharing, and collaboration.
- You are capable of working with distributed teams using asynchronous and synchronous methods.
- You are a proactive problem solver and take initiative in identifying needs and taking action prior to being asked.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and are able to adapt to a rapidly changing business environment.
- You thrive in a results-oriented culture that favors collaborative decision making.
- You have strong time management skills and plan and prioritize work to accomplish all tasks.
- You are a flexible and creative individual capable of managing multiple priorities and projects in a diverse environment while providing top level attention to detail, and ensuring work is complete.
Additionally, we’d love if you have:
- Previous work experience with Workday Adaptive Planning preferred.
- Finance Analyst or Finance business intelligence and reporting experience.
- Understanding of the free culture, free software, or online rights movements.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a remote-first organization with staff members including contractors based in more than 50 countries. Salaries at the Wikimedia Foundation are set in a way that is competitive, equitable, and consistent with our values and culture. The anticipated annual pay range of this position for applicants based within the United States is US$97,963 to US$124,839 with multiple individualized factors, including cost of living in the location, being the determinants of the offered pay. For applicants located outside of the US, the pay range will be adjusted to the country of hire. We neither ask for nor take into consideration the salary history of applicants. The compensation for a successful applicant will be based on their skills, experience and location.
All applicants can reach out to their recruiter to understand more about the specific pay range for their location during the interview process.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks
News from across the Wikimedia movement
Our Commitment to Equity
This is Wikimedia Foundation
Our Tech Stack