Director of Engineering, Developer Experience
The Director of Engineering, Developer Experience is accountable for the Developer Experience Group in the Wikimedia Foundation and is an active participant in the strategic decision making for the Product and Technology department and across the Wikimedia movement. The Developer Experience Group includes Release Engineering, Cloud Services, Technical Documentation, and Quality & Test Engineering teams. This role shares responsibility with the Director of Product for Developer Experience to develop and execute a holistic strategy for Developer Experience in collaboration with other engineering teams, product management, and the volunteer technical contributor community. The teams in this group develop and deliver software, services, and processes that build and sustain our engineering culture and foster improved collaboration. This role is a people management role responsible for completion of technical objectives and a key partner to their Director of Product counterpart.
You are responsible for:
- Leading a group of teams working to make it easier to build, maintain, and deploy reliable software that powers a top 15 internet destination.
- Continuous improvement of the tools, systems, and services that support staff, affiliate, and volunteer software development practices.
- Living and demonstrating our values by fostering a working environment and team relationships that are aligned in our mission, welcoming to everyone who shares our vision and values, curious and open to new ideas, focused on delivering great work, and constantly improving.
- Coaching, developing, and empowering engineering managers and highly senior individual contributors to enable their success in solving problems, delivering on team objectives, and coaching and developing their team members.
- Engineering delivery of the teams in the Developer Experience Group.
- Collaborating with the Director of Product for Developer Experience on roadmaps and technical strategy.
- Participating with other senior managers & directors across the department to establish strategic plans, align towards common objectives, and solve complex problems.
- Participating in organizational development of methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for projects, programs, and people to ensure the greatest impact for the Foundation.
- Planning, staffing, budgeting, and managing expense priorities within the cost center for Developer Experience.
Skills and Experience:
- Leading teams that manage software engineering lifecycle processes and services in an organization with 100+ software engineers
- Leading or managing a developer experience, developer productivity, or developer relations function
- Experience managing organizational interaction with a community of technical contributors
- Management or contribution to an open source software project
- Significant progressive engineering management experience
- Experience building and leading diverse, multi-national and remote-first teams
- Proven success at all stages of the engineering process and product lifecycle, leading to significant, measurable impact
- Experience working with internal and external software engineering stakeholders to build processes and tooling to support the software development lifecycle
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a remote-first organization with staff members including contractors based in more than 50 countries. Salaries at the Wikimedia Foundation are set in a way that is competitive, equitable, and consistent with our values and culture. The anticipated annual pay range of this position for applicants based within the United States is US$167,046 to US$260,066 with multiple individualized factors, including cost of living in the location, being the determinants of the offered pay. For applicants located outside of the US, the pay range will be adjusted to the country of hire. We neither ask for nor take into consideration the salary history of applicants. The compensation for a successful applicant will be based on their skills, experience and location.
All applicants can reach out to their recruiter to understand more about the specific pay range for their location during the interview process.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or +1 (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks
News from across the Wikimedia movement
Our Commitment to Equity
This is Wikimedia Foundation
Our Tech Stack