SENIOR GLOBAL MOVEMENT COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST (EUROPEAN REGION)
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Senior Global Movement Communications Specialist for the European region.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Global Movement Communications, you will be part of the Movement Communications team and the wider Communications Department. You will help us build bridges and a shared understanding across our movement with a particular focus on the European region.
We are looking for an experienced communicator, campaigner or community organizer with extensive experience working across the European region; someone who is passionate about bringing people together around a common cause.
You are responsible for:
- Dialogue: Build two-way dialogue with our movement in the European region and beyond - we have a global movement of 250,000+ volunteer editors, more than 150 affiliate groups, and partners.
- Connections: Scale up and deepen our connections to our movement of volunteer editors and affiliate groups, as well as to mission-aligned partner organizations, in the European region through context-aware multi-lingual and multi-cultural communications.
- Coordination: Bring together different actors and stakeholders in the region, including user groups, volunteers, and Wikimedia Foundation staff for the purpose of reaching alignment and harmonization.
- Agile strategy: Convene, celebrate and communicate through our agile movement communications strategy.
- Equity: Begin with equity and make our movement communications more inclusive by identifying and working collectively to address communication gaps among underrepresented and less vocal groups in the movement.
- Growth: Lead on engaging and facilitating with parts of our movement that generally have not participated in large-scale or movement-wide conversations ensuring equitable growth.
- Build trust: Communicate the Foundation’s movement-facing work with context to build a narrative as it relates to the Foundation’s ethos and values – particularly transparency.
- Best practice & coordination: Support, adapt, contextualize, and share of best practices and support coordination of our movement consultations and communications.
- Build Awareness: Work closely with other teams in the Communications department to ensure that we build our regional awareness and that our external communications integrate movement priorities & stories.
- Collaboration: Collaborate with stakeholders across the movement to support building an equitable and welcoming atmosphere where many cultures thrive. Work closely with our product & technology departments on rolling out our product roadmap.
Skills and Experience:
- Extensive experience working in a volunteer movement, a global not-for-profit, community or political organizing, or a related field.
- A strong international perspective with experience working across the European region and in multicultural settings.
- Wiki editing experience including marking up pages for translations, knowledge of wikitext, templates and how to create and use them would be highly desirable.
- Experience working on contentious topics and in leading communication for change management and conflict resolution.
- Experience implementing successful agile communications strategies across multiple channels and platforms with collaborative outcomes.
- A people person with experience in cross-cultural communications, including communicating across multiple languages.
- Fluency in English and at least one Central or Eastern European language is required for this position. Fluency in any additional European languages is a plus.
- The candidate would be based in the European region.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Familiarity or direct experience with free knowledge communities, the education sector, and/or open source culture.
Qualities that are important to us:
The Wikimedia Foundation shares values and guiding principles with the Wikimedia movement.
Internationalism informs the Communication department’s decision making at all levels. We actively seek diverse talent from around the world and use language that is easily understood and supported with translation. We support decolonizing knowledge and addressing gaps in content and contributions from those who have been underrepresented on Wikimedia projects.
As the stewards of the Wikimedia brands, reputation, and global messaging. e aim to serve every human being through compelling storytelling, showcasing the Wikimedia movement and the diverse human beings that power it — for donors, partners, the Wikimedia communities, readers, and the general public.
And we prioritize impact in order to change perceptions, inspire action, and increase affinity for our projects. We share our outputs to inspire, increase trust, and build loyalty among audiences worldwide.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or +1 (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: We cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off: Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO (Professional Employee Organization) to ensure alignment with local labor laws.