Wikimedia envisions a world where the sum total of human knowledge is available to everyone.
The Wikimedia Foundation, the nonprofit home of Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata, and other free educational projects, serves as the hub of a global movement of hundreds of thousands of contributors collaborating to collect and share the sum of all human knowledge with the world. We are looking for a Sr. Program Manager to help the Foundation improve our overall performance and become a model for strategic & operational planning and monitoring of those plans.
This position will report to the Director of Financial Planning, and directly support Foundation´s cross-functional Planning team. Working with the Planning team, Sr. Program Manager will coordinate all aspects of the Foundation’s core strategic process: annual planning and quarterly monitoring cycles. The Sr. Program Manager will help the Planning team design process improvements to our planning and monitoring cycles and activities, and lead the implementation of those improvements. In addition, the Sr. Program Manager will be responsible for supporting the change management and internal communication to leadership and the wider Foundation.
This contract role is an opportunity to coordinate critical strategic processes that are highly visible, impactful, and supported.
We’d like you to do this:
This contract position will provide support in these key areas:
- Facilitate the Planning team to design the planning and monitoring process, implement process improvements, and get approval of design changes by the C-suite.
- Coordinate and manage the planning and monitoring calendar of deadlines and events.
- Own the coordination, scheduling, and organizing of all planning and monitoring activities including quarterly monitoring presentations and meetings, annual planning meetings, events.
- Coordinate the creation and distribution of planning and monitoring templates and tools, as well as facilitating Foundation leaders to meet internal deadlines to provide materials.
- Analyze and contextualize materials and information provided by internal teams to create summary materials and presentations for executive and board level discussions.
- Lead Planning team coordination and design meetings, facilitating defining agenda, capturing action items, and ensuring follow up.
- Coordinate with internal and external facilitators, communications staff, and other staff supporting planning and monitoring activities toward executing the planning and monitoring process and timeline.
- Facilitate a shared understanding of objectives and process design goals across diverse sets of stakeholders, managing processes, identifying and clearing bottlenecks and integrating timely opportunities.
- Streamline, organize, and support reporting and communication flows across liaisons responsible for planning in each department. Keep stakeholders aware of progress and facilitate strategic alignment across different levels in the department.
- Coordinate and execute organization-wide communications and socialization activities.
- Take on related projects as new opportunities arise
We’d like you to have these skills and attributes:
- 5-7 years of experience in program management with some exposure to nonprofit sector
- Excellent organizational skills to manage programs, projects, process, calendars, and planning activities
- Ability to drive projects independently with limited feedback on a daily basis
- Strong verbal, written, and social communication skills with attention to international diversity
- Tolerance for ambiguity and ability to manage complex problems
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, changing environment that requires fast turn‐around
- The ability to thrive in a globally-distributed team and nurture and maintain positive, respectful professional relationships
- Natural inclination for team collaboration and for helping colleagues succeed
- Flexible mindset and ability to adjust processes to scale or to change course
- Internal motivation and high standards
- Commitment to the mission of the organization and our values
- Commitment to our guiding principles
- Experience with project management tools (e.g., Asana, Trello, or similar systems)
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
- Prior experience coordinating organizational planning, monitoring or reporting processes
- Prior experience working on techno-social problem sets with technical and social solutions.
- Experience working in an global organization that has a distributed workforce
- PMP or MSP certification
- Non-profit experience
- Tech sector experience
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.