Senior Regional Partnerships Manager (LATAM)
The Wikimedia Foundation, the nonprofit that oversees Wikipedia, is committed to providing free knowledge for every single person on the planet. Strategic partnerships in emerging markets can increase Wikipedia’s reach and accelerate the growth of our free licensed content in multiple languages and cultures. This role will be crucial to design and implement a partnerships strategy for LATAM, with a special focus on increasing usage, access, and awareness of Wikimedia projects, as well as the availability of locally relevant content, supporting the overall goals of the Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia movement. Join us and help grow the number of people who can freely share and participate in the sum of human knowledge.
You are responsible for:
- Secure and manage strategic partnerships to expand awareness, reach, and usage of Wikimedia sites as well as the availability of locally relevant content with private and not-for-profit mission-aligned stakeholders in the information, technology, and education ecosystem.
- The focus for partnerships will be local, regional, and global technology companies with a presence in Latin America as well as mobile carriers, phone/tablet manufacturers, technology companies, and other similar private and not-for-profit mission-aligned stakeholders. These efforts will also include strategic partnerships with governments, ministries, and international bodies in support of the same goals.
- Explore and evaluate new partnerships and initiatives that can significantly increase Wikipedia's footprint in Latin America.
- Strategize and provide support for scaling ongoing partnerships in other regions to be implemented in LATAM countries.
- Represent Wikipedia and all our knowledge-based projects in the region.
- In collaboration with relevant teams across Wikimedia Foundation, engage with local Wikimedia communities in the region when relevant around partnership opportunities.
- Represent Wikimedia in internal and external conferences and events as needed.
Skills and Experience:
- Seasoned and experienced professional. 5+ years of experience in business development, partnerships and/or marketing, including work in emerging countries.
- Previous experience in setting and executing strategic business development plans in the region.
- Experience building and managing relationships with governments, international organizations, educational institutions, mobile operators, phone manufacturers, relevant technology and internet players, and other private and not-for-profit relevant stakeholders in the technology and educational ecosystem.
- Work and/or life experience in emerging markets. Writing and speaking proficiency in English and Spanish required (Portuguese a plus).
- Currently residing in Latin America.
- Must be willing to travel internationally (roughly 20%-30% time) and work flexible hours to meet the requirements of global partner relationships. (Cognizant of current travel restrictions, travel is currently on hold for 2021).
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent; + 5 yrs related experience; Master’s + 3 years related experience; or equivalent work experience.
Qualities that are important to us:
- Mission-driven individual with a passion for reducing the access to knowledge gap in emerging markets.
- Alignment with Wikimedia’s values; comfortable working in a highly transparent, collaborative, and remote/distributed team environment.
- Problem-solving skills and flexibility to work cross-functionally and cross-culturally.
- Capable of managing multiple priorities and deadlines; have a structured approach and be geared to deliver results.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills needed to pitch and secure partnerships opportunities for local and global audiences to high-level executives.
- Be a true team player; enjoying working with a small and highly collaborative team.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.