Job Title: Senior Counsel
Location: Remote (USA)
Reports to: Wikimedia Foundation’s Deputy General Counsel
Wikimedia envisions a world where the sum total of human knowledge is available to everyone.
The Wikimedia Foundation, the nonprofit home of Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, and other free educational projects, serves as the hub of a global movement of hundreds of thousands of contributors collaborating to collect and share the sum of all human knowledge with the world.
As Wikimedia pursues our global strategic direction, our Legal department is tasked with solving many legal questions, including some that no one has fully considered before. We are looking for a lawyer to join our in-house legal department as Senior Counsel to provide critical advice and counsel on a variety of matters. The position will be responsible for advising on employment matters relating to our global workforce, as well as the Foundation’s efforts relating to diversity, equity, and inclusion. The attorney will provide support to other areas of the Foundation’s legal operations, including our transactions workflow.
Who Should Apply:
At Wikimedia, we serve the world. We believe that there is no way to meaningfully achieve our goal of reaching every single human unless our organization reflects the full breadth of the human experience. To that end, the Wikimedia Foundation recruits candidates from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences, including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families. A diversity of lived experiences is reflective of those who create and use Wikimedia every day.
Essential Functions of Role:
- Provide legal advice regarding Wikimedia’s employment practices, policies, and compliance programs in the context of Wikimedia’s strategic direction and organizational risk profile, and in accordance with all applicable laws.
- Provide legal advice and counsel on a range of employment law matters, including recruiting, employee performance review management, compensation and benefits, employee classification, and contingent workforce issues.
- Provide legal advice and counsel on matters relating to Wikimedia’s investments in and commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Collaborate on conducting trainings on staff policies and related matters.
- Support the Foundation’s enterprise risk management program.
- Advise the Foundation on other domestic and international legal and policy questions, which may include contract, privacy, media, copyright, trademark, or litigation matters.
- Liaise with and assist in the management of outside counsel.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- JD from an accredited law school and current membership in good standing with at least one US state bar.
- 4+ years of legal experience, in private practice and/or as in-house counsel.
- Prior experience with California state employment law.
- Prior experience advising on employment matters in other states.
- Prior experience drafting and negotiating contracts.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, multitasking environment that demands high-quality work on short deadlines.
- Ability to identify and implement practical solutions to abstract or complex problems.
- Ability to dedicate to projects, adhere to deadlines, and complete work independently.
- Ability to travel, including internationally; and to travel or work on weekends if and when needed, due to conferences, legal needs, etc.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills.
Qualities that are important to us:
- Appreciation for and alignment with Wikimedia’s mission.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills and ability to work well on a team.
- A desire to learn, stretch, and grow.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Prior experience with non-US employment-related matters.
- Experience contributing to a formal enterprise risk management program.
- Experience working with professional employment organizations and/or employers of record.
- Prior experience working on matters relating to a remote / distributed workforce.
- Experience working internationally, for international clients, or on international law.
- Experience working in privacy law.
- Experience working in media law and/or intellectual property law.
- Experience with nonprofit law and/or nonprofit governance.
- Ability to speak additional languages besides English.
- Prior experience working with or participating in large volunteer communities.
- Prior experience working in the technology sector.
- Prior work, internship, or volunteer experience in the nonprofit sector.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.