SENIOR ENGINEERING MANAGER, WIKIMEDIA ENTERPRISE
Wikimedia Enterprise is a new cross-departmental project of the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) to build fast, comprehensive, reliable, and secure data ingestion to organizations that wish to repurpose Wikimedia content in other contexts. Wikimedia Enterprise aims to improve the user experience of Wikimedia's readers beyond our own websites; increase the reach and discoverability of Wikimedia content; and improve awareness and ease of attribution and verifiability by the organizations that reuse Wikimedia content the most — all through revenue-generating services. Read more about the project in WIRED and Insider.
As the Senior Engineering Manager, you will be a leader managing the technical roadmap and talented team of engineers behind our new Wikimedia Enterprise product. In this role, you will have the opportunity to contribute significantly to architecting, building, and maintaining Wikipedia’s data feeds for high volume reusers. You will work alongside the product and sales teams to define the long term strategy for Wikimedia Enterprise and support the financial sustainability of the Wikimedia movement.
The Enterprise product is in its early stages, and this role will change and shape over time as the team grows. We are a distributed and diverse team of engineers with a drive to explore, experiment, and embrace new technologies. We build quickly, deploy often, and our work has a very high impact on the global knowledge ecosystem. We are looking for someone who is eager to wear multiple hats and utilize their experience managing a strong team and setting a culture of collaboration and excitement.
Travel is not currently required due to the pandemic. During non-pandemic times, some travel is expected, usually 3-4 times per year.
- Fostering a supportive team environment, ensuring diverse voices are heard and team members feel empowered to lead
- Guiding team members with structured development techniques
- Coaching engineers in the art and science of software engineering and evolvable software architecture
- Owning technical decisions and working closely with team to find best solutions to hard problems
- Leading conversations about long term technical strategy of the Wikimedia Enterprise team, with understanding of the principles of the movement.
- Being a strong voice, leader, and collaborator on team activities including code reviews, ceremonies, and work allocation.
- Participating in hiring considerate of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Partnering with peers on cross-team delivery and radiating organizational updates
- Facilitating product technical strategy and roadmap setting with software engineers and technical product management
- Supervising budget and staffing
Skills and Experience:
- Expertise in B2B environments that require high and unpredictable scale
- History of developing high productivity engineering teams working on challenging problems
- Expertise managing teams with tight SLAs behind their work
- Experience in supporting complex web applications running on Amazon Web Services or other comparable cloud platforms
- Experience working with Kafka or similar distributed event processing systems
- Experience working with Node.js, Go and PHP applications
- Comfortable with configuration management and orchestration tools (ECS, Kubernetes) and modern observability infrastructure (monitoring, metrics and logging)
- BS/MS/Ph.D in Computer Science or other relevant technical field or the equivalent in work experience
Qualities that are important to us:
- A desire to make meaningful contributions to knowledge equity, free culture, and open access
- Ability to communicate clearly in both synchronous and asynchronous channels
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Familiarity with Wikipedia / wikitext / markdown editing or content management systems (e.g., MediaWiki, Drupal, WordPress)
- Experience with service based and streaming architectures
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.