Search for the Vice President of Global Advocacy
Wikimedia envisions a world where the sum total of human knowledge is available to everyone.
The Wikimedia Foundation, the San Francisco-based nonprofit home of Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, and other free educational projects, serves as the hub of a global movement of hundreds of thousands of contributors collaborating to collect and share the sum of all human knowledge with the world. Wikipedia, the most prominent of the Wikimedia projects, comprises more than 55 million articles in more than 300 languages and is viewed more than 15 billion times each month from around the world.
Wikimedia’s advocacy work is focused on championing everyone’s right to free knowledge online. The Foundation protects users’ privacy and speech, and educates governments and policymakers about the importance of the free and open internet. Wikimedia believes that regardless of location or circumstance, everyone has the right to seek and share knowledge. The Foundation protects the right to speak and learn freely, shaping public policy that opens access to free online knowledge around the globe. Wikimedia defends free expression, and stands up for its users, including helping contributors respond to legal threats relating to their work on Wikimedia projects. The Foundation supports community voices, maintaining the legal protections around the world to allow volunteer contributors to take the lead on editorial decisions. And Wikimedia speaks up for free knowledge and access, increasing awareness of Wikipedia beyond North America and Europe to expand global knowledge participation.
During a pivotal time of change, the Wikimedia Foundation seeks a Vice President (VP) of Global Advocacy. A newly created role, the VP of Global Advocacy will provide strategic leadership and direction to a currently three-person and growing team of public policy and advocacy experts on the Public Policy team. The Public Policy team works to establish and defend a legal and regulatory landscape that is essential to Wikipedia and other free educational projects, and to enable the Foundation to advance its mission amidst political, technological, and societal challenges. The VP will be an experienced public policy professional who can run campaigns on crucial issues for the Foundation’s mission, such as intermediary liability, copyright, and access to knowledge. The immediate focus of the Public Policy team is to raise Wikimedia’s profile and influence in debates that affect the ability of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects to function as sources of free knowledge. A member of the Legal Department, the VP will report to the General Counsel, and work closely with outside digital rights advocates and Wikimedia affiliates around the world.
The VP of Global Advocacy will address a number of essential functions including driving the development of the global advocacy strategy, providing vision, structure and strategy to a high-performing and growing Public Policy team, clarifying and delegating operational planning, and negotiating advocacy objectives within the organization’s strategy. The VP will recruit and manage diverse, exceptional global talent, oversee career development and engagement of the team, and keep the General Counsel, Executive Director, and other members of the executive team and Board of Trustees current on key policy trends and important developments. The VP is responsible for leading proactive plans to influence public policy in key areas, developing strategic plans to effectively advance the policy agenda in the face of challenges, and developing proposals, including legislative and regulatory initiatives, to support free knowledge consistent with the Wikimedia Guiding Principles. In addition, the VP will increase public engagement in Wikimedia’s policy positions, build and coordinate activism on critical issues, oversee advocacy communications strategy, and work collaboratively with other members of the Public Policy team and with other teams across the Wikimedia Foundation.
How to Apply
Screening of complete applications will begin immediately and continue until the completion of the search process. For more details, including the full position profile and to submit inquiries, nominations, referrals, or resumes with cover letters please see the website of Isaacson, Miller, Wikimedia’s search partners, at www.imsearch.com/7942.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, babysitting, continuing education and much more.
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary.
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 additional paid holidays, including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program.
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses.
- Remote and flexible work schedules available.
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax.
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world.
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience.
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people.
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the United States, we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.