The Senior Accountant is a member of the accounting team and responsible for assisting with the execution of daily accounting processes, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, month-end close, and year-end tax preparation and audit processes in a fast paced, agile environment. Under the supervision of the Accounting Manager, the Senior Accountant will partner with the Accounting team and other teams within the foundation to ensure that there are sufficient systems and procedures in place to provide effective support to existing and new program implementation.
You are responsible for:
- Prepare monthly bank and general ledger account reconciliations.
- Responsible for the maintenance of the general ledger.
- Responsible for month-end closing journal entries, including expenses accruals and prepaid amortization.
- Review weekly A/P and expense reports, including verifying the accuracy of coding.
- Review monthly credit card reconciliation and charges.
- Oversee fixed assets capitalization and depreciation.
- Assist with month-end and year-end reporting
- Assist with the annual audit and preparation of financial statements under GAAP for Not-for-Profit organizations
- Assist with various tax filing needs e.g. Sales/Use tax, business property tax return, city tax and annual tax preparation form 990
- Oversee the preparation and filing of the annual Form 1099.
- Assist with the continuous improvement of processes.
- Additional duties assigned as required.
Skills and Experience:
- B.A. Degree in Accounting or Finance from a four-year college or university.
- Minimum of 4 years of progressive Accounting experience.
- Knowledge and experience implementing accounting internal control procedures.
- Knowledge of GAAP for Not-for-Profit organizations.
- Deep understanding of accrual basis accounting
- Proactive learner, enjoys problem solving, takes ownership
- Strong communication skills, including verbal and written.
- Ability to effectively communicate to all levels of the organization.
- Ability to manage multiple competing tasks and meet established deadlines.
- Ability to work as part of an integrated team as well as independently.
- Ability to work in an open, transparent, and collaborative environment.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong Excel skills.
- Strong accounting system skills.
- Ability to work well with people with a very wide diversity of demographic and cultural characteristics.
Qualities that are important to us:
- A focused and detail-oriented individual that thrives in a highly collaborative, dynamic, fast paced and agile environment.
- Passionate for numbers, spreadsheets, and can easily get excited about accounting principles discussions.
- An individual that takes pride in personal and professional responsibility and integrity.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.