SENIOR DATA ANALYST (CONTRACT)
This is a one-year contract with the potential to extend.
The fundraising team at the Wikimedia Foundation conducts worldwide campaigns across nearly 40 countries and 20 languages, collecting small donations (averaging about $15) as well as larger offline donations to support the Wikimedia Foundation’s mission to empower and engage people around the world with free knowledge. The Fundraising Operations team is looking for an experienced Senior Data Analyst to join our team, to support the process of making data driven decisions to improve the effectiveness of our fundraising strategies, while staying true to our values of openness, transparency and respect of user privacy. This will be a full time (40 hours/week) contractor position. As the Senior Data Analyst, you will be reporting to and work closely with the Lead Data Strategist to support, optimize and enhance the real-time reporting structure that powers the Fundraising Analytics team - as well using that infrastructure to generate powerful insights that inform the strategy of the Fundraising team at large.
In this role, you will work with fellow data professionals, technologists, and fundraisers to automate data flows, provide clean and aggregated fundraising data to generate actionable insights to optimize fundraising outcomes. You will work with data from a wide variety of countries and donation streams, and you will need to present this data to stakeholders at a variety of levels of abstraction.
You are responsible for:
- Delivering actionable insights and analysis on global fundraising campaigns and fundraising strategic objectives to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Delivering reporting, statistical analysis and providing guidance on test setup within our iterative A/B testing program
- Analytics database management and optimization to support the regular reporting needs driven by a growing donor base
- Transform and clean data to support analytics needs by making it more easily and quickly accessible
- Provide the Analytics team with technical QA to ensure data quality and reliability
Skills and Experience:
- Experienced professional able to resolve a wide range of data challenges in elegant and creative ways
- Experience transforming data using Tableau, PowerBI, Superset, or similar BI tools to demonstrate meaningful insights across multiple levels within an organization
- Proficient SQL user, with working knowledge of CRUD operations and dynamic SQL
- Comfortable working with data-related python and/or R packages for data cleaning and modeling
- Practical statistical expertise and an understanding of digital campaigns
- Comfortable with giving and receiving code reviews through git (GitHub, Gerrit, BitBucket, etc.)
- Proven ability to adhere to deadlines and to seek out learning and support
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as the ability to clearly communicate technical concepts to non technical stakeholders
Qualities that are important to us:
- Strong value and mission fit with the Wikimedia movement and Foundation
- Comfortable working in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment
- Ability to work effectively in multiple cultural contexts
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience with open source technologies and communities
- Comfortable working in a terminal / command line environment
- Conceptual understanding of cron or other automated scheduler tools
- Experience working with noSQL and non-structured data
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.