The Wikimedia Foundation seeks an innovative, collaborative leader to help define and oversee the execution of the global marketing plan to grow Wikipedia readership and editor usage worldwide. In this role, you will work with Wikimedia Foundation communications, product, advancement, community, partnership, and creative colleagues to build and execute global multi-channel marketing campaigns.
This position will lead the current team responsible for the management and implementation of the growth marketing plan and content strategy. You will transform market research and audience insights into marketing plans inclusive of lifecycles and journeys, creative input briefs, media plans, content strategies to deliver target goals.
You are responsible for:
- Developing and overseeing the deployment of a solid content strategy inclusive of digital and social, and partnering with the communications department on content synergies and planning.
- Leading the team responsible for the product marketing, audience growth and engagement plans, channel mix and content strategy, creative campaign input, media performance, programmatic planning, and reporting.
- Contributing to annual marketing growth plans by aligning on the objectives, strategies, tactics, budgets, timelines and resource allocation.
- Developing a well-defined audience segmentation marketing strategy by partnering with the insights and analytics team to leverage key audience segment potential, behaviours and ethnography.
- Creating relevant global audience lifecycles supported by research, insights, phase signals and KPIs.
- Integrating the lifecycle with the product user experience for an optimal end-to-end experience.
- Providing business requirements for reporting, analytics, and dashboards to track near-real-time results and monitor progress toward goals.
- Completes operational requirements by scheduling and assigning tasks within the team and following up on work results.
- Empower and develop the team by providing information, educational opportunities, and experiential growth opportunities.
Skills and Experience:
- Multichannel digital marketing strategy experience
- Experience in building product messaging that sets us apart from others and speaks to our target audience
- Able to gain insights into customers’ usage of current products, untapped opportunities and user personas, through interviews, surveys, focus groups and research data
- Proven experience in discovering and launching marketing opportunities by collaborating across departments
- Measurable experience in developing successful digital marketing campaigns
- Global marketing content strategy and audience segmentation strategy
- 2+ years experience in leading and mentoring a team
- Program campaign analytics & measurement experience
Qualities that are important to us:
- Strong team development and empowerment skills
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Proven ability to make objective data-based decisions
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- The experience and desire to work remotely
- Experience working across multiple time zones successfully
- Experience in leading a remote team
- Experience in working within emerging markets
- Led brand awareness, lead generation, engagement and retention marketing programs
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.