Senior Business Intelligence Consultant, Global Data & Insights Team
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Senior Consultant, Business Intelligence, to join our team, reporting to the Director of Global Data and Insights. As the Senior Consultant, you will be responsible for designing the roadmap of this new Business Intelligence practice at Wikimedia Foundation. In this role, you will work with all departments to converge on critical metrics to measure organizational effectiveness and to design a data pipeline for an org-level dashboard for senior leadership. The consultant will also lead the roadmap design for end-products such as business models, scenario planners, reporting dashboards, or data visualizations. The consultant will act as a thought partner to the GDI team to selecting techniques used for data modeling and establish any practices to ensure high quality and efficient extraction and transformation of data.
You are responsible for:
Identifying organizational metrics for the Foundation to measure its progress against the strategic goals
- The identification exercise will include a combination of strategies from:
- collecting benchmarking metrics for organizations with a similar mission in the nonprofit sector and private sector too
- triangulating existing data that departments use within the Foundation.
- Work with the Director to finalize the org-level metrics for the first year.
Developing data pipeline and roadmap for BI practice at the Foundation
- Gather requirements, scope projects, and build a comprehensive and realistic data pipeline and roadmap to establish BI practice at the Foundation.
- Review and update existing processes in line with changes in data structures or changes in the Foundation’s needs.
- Maintain high communication standards, including developing new or imaginative ways of using or communicating data and insights.
- Another essential part of this work is the continuous development and improvement of our data models and reports.
Skills and Experience:
- BA/BS with at least seven years' professional experience working with large datasets or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 3-5 years of experience managing data teams and designing strategy.
- Experience working with survey data and big data.
- Ability to communicate with technical staff and translate technical requirements to non-technical staff.
- Exposure to working with open-source tools such as Hive/Presto and Superset is ideal but not required.
Qualities that are important to us:
- Intellectual curiosity to learn.
- Excellent interpersonal (customer service) and oral/written communication skills
- Agility and comfort with ambiguity. Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Discretion and competence in handling confidential data.
- Ability to have a 360 view, build and maintain strong relationships with staff to meet organizational goals.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Knowledge of the field of philanthropy and other areas in which the Foundation works
- Knowledge of predictive analytics
- Experience in a consensus-oriented environment.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.