TRUST & SAFETY DISINFORMATION SPECIALIST (FARSI LANGUAGE)
The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking a Trust & Safety Specialist focused primarily on Disinformation to join the Legal department to help advance the Wikimedia movement’s vision of every human being able to freely share in the sum of all knowledge; as well as its strategic direction - that by 2030, Wikimedia will become the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge, and anyone who shares our vision will be able to join us.
The Trust & Safety Specialist (Disinformation) will work closely with others on the Trust & Safety Disinformation team to help protect knowledge integrity on the platform, thoroughly investigating and responding as directed to threats to knowledge integrity. The Specialist's key focus in this regard will be for the Farsi language project. They will also support standard online trust and safety functions of empowering and engaging people involved in or impacted by the Wikimedia movement. Additionally, they will support the resilience of Wikimedia communities by investigating threats of violence and other threats to the safety of the Wikimedia projects, communities and the public; contribute to the investigation and mitigation of technical attacks and social disruption; and facilitate the work of our vast community of international volunteers.
The successful Trust & Safety Disinformation Specialist will collaborate respectfully with others, encourage collegial engagement, treat private information with discretion, demonstrate empathy in their communications with others, be creative and open to new solutions, be supportive of other Specialists, and be flexible in assignments. The Specialist will step into difficult discussions and situations, including those that may involve graphic imagery such as terrorism content, and will explain details and context as needed to promote effective resolution, mutual understanding, and civil communication. This is a sometimes chaotic and challenging environment that offers best opportunities for those who thrive working both independently and with others. This role reports to the Trust & Safety Manager, Disinformation.
You are responsible for:
- Collaborating closely with other Trust & Safety staff in partnership with the communities to evaluate, process and appropriately address threats to knowledge integrity on the platform.
- Working with other Trust & Safety staff to evaluate, process and appropriately escalate inappropriate content and threats against the safety of volunteers or the public. This work may include evaluating threats of self-violence or terrorism, or processing inappropriate imagery, including imagery involving minors. This involves supporting the team to ensure 24/7 coverage for emergencies.
- Supporting Trust and Safety investigations on online or offline harassment and event safety cases.
- Stepping into difficult discussions and situations to provide details and context to promote effective resolution, mutual understanding, and civil communication.
- Liaising with, and supporting the work of key community groups that support the integrity of the platform, including facilitating their access to engineering and other resources within the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Assisting with correspondence management, which will include answering questions from volunteers and other stakeholders in a timely, efficient, and respectful manner.
- Collaborating with the wider Anti-Disinformation program and Trust & Safety staff to evaluate, process and appropriately address technical threats to the platform and the communities we support.
- Building relationships with Wikimedians from around the world, including key volunteer community members.
- Keeping up with, and reporting on key developments in the Wikimedia movement.
- Performing other duties, as required.
Skills and Experience:
- Fluency in English and native command of Farsi.
- Experience with Incident Response.
- Strong critical and contextual thinking skills with a bias toward action in ambiguous situations.
- Strong commitment to knowledge integrity issues, including a willingness to work with our community on disinformation matters and to report illegal material to law enforcement with appropriate follow up as necessary.
- Strong commitment to child protection issues, including a willingness to work significantly with our community on such matters and to report illegal material to law enforcement with appropriate follow up as necessary.
- Strong desire to approach work in a collaborative way to help colleagues succeed
- Outstanding organizational and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to communicate compassionately and professionally with key stakeholders
- Ability to adapt communication depending on context, and audience: from precisely detailed to clear and simple
- Resilient and self-reliant; tolerates ambiguity and maintains positive, values respectful professional relationships.
- Resilience in dealing with difficult subject matter.
- BA/BS or above.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- CISSP/GIAC or equivalent certification in cyber or information security
- Experience with Threat Modeling and Risk Assessments.
- Experience and/or training in project and people management (volunteer capacity applies) or mediation.
- Experience recruiting, motivating and organizing online volunteers.
- Experience with CRM and ticketing systems, and artificial languages like SQL, PHP, and Python.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.