Trust & Safety Specialist
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Trust & Safety Specialist to join our team, reporting to the Trust and Safety Operations Manager and partners closely with the Security team. As the Trust & Safety Specialist, you will be responsible to work closely with others on the Trust and Safety team to help protect, empower, and engage people involved in or impacted by the Wikimedia movement. The Specialist seeks to protect and enhance the security of the platform and the communities we support; to thoroughly investigate and respond as directed to technical attacks, spam, threats of violence and other threats to the safety of the Wikimedia projects, communities and the public; and to facilitate the work of our vast community of international volunteers.
In this role, you will collaborate respectfully with others, encourage collegial engagement, treat private information with discretion, be creative and open to new solutions, be supportive of other Specialists, and be flexible in assignments. The Specialist steps into difficult discussions and situations, including those that may involve child protection and graphic imagery, and explains details and context as needed to promote effective resolution, mutual understanding and civil communication. This is a sometimes chaotic and challenging environment that offers best opportunities for those who thrive working both independently and with others.
You are responsible for:
- Collaborate closely with Security and Trust and Safety staff in evaluating, processing and appropriately addressing technical threats to the platform and the communities we support.
- Collaborate closely with other Trust and Safety staff in evaluating, processing and appropriately escalating inappropriate content and threats against the safety of volunteers or the public. This work involves coordinating with other staff in team rotation to ensure 24/7 coverage for emergencies. This work may include evaluating threats of self-violence or terrorism, or processing inappropriate imagery, including imagery involving minors.
- Collaborate closely with other Trust and Safety staff in investigating, processing and appropriately escalating online harassment and event safety cases.
- Step into difficult discussions and situations, when necessary, to provide details and context to promote effective resolution, mutual understanding, and civil communication.
- Liaise with and support the work of key community groups that support the security of the platform, including facilitating their access to engineering and other resources within the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Assist with correspondence management, which will include answering questions from volunteers and other stakeholders in a timely, efficient, and respectful manner.
- Provide events safety for Wikimedia events as directed by the Operations Manager.
- Build relationships with Wikimedians, including key volunteer community members, around the world.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience with Incident Response.
- Team player who cares deeply about his/her own work and also helps colleagues succeed.
- Strong critical and contextual thinking skills with a bias toward action in ambiguous situations.
- Strong commitment to child protection issues, including a willingness to work significantly with our community on such matters and to report illegal material to law enforcement with appropriate follow up as necessary.
- Outstanding organizational and interpersonal communication skills with an ability to communicate compassionately and professionally with key stakeholders in styles ranging from precisely detailed to clear and simple, depending on context.
- Emotionally mature and self-reliant; tolerates ambiguity and maintains positive, respectful professional relationships.
- Resilience in dealing with difficult subject matter.
- Fluency in English and native command of French.
- BA/BS or above.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- CISSP/GIAC or equivalent
- Fluency in Arabic or Portuguese would be a strong plus
- Experience with Threat Modeling and Risk Assessments.
- Experience and/or training in project and people management (volunteer capacity applies) or mediation.
- Experience recruiting, motivating and organizing online volunteers.
- Experience with CRM and ticketing systems, and artificial languages like SQL, PHP, and Python.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.