The Wikimedia Foundation is hiring a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to support and maintain the data and statistics infrastructure that powers a big part of decision making in the Foundation and in the Wiki community. This includes everything from eliminating boring things from your daily workflow by automating them, to upgrading a multi-petabyte Hadoop cluster to the next upstream version without impacting uptime and users.
We're looking for an experienced candidate who's excited about working with big data systems. Ideally you will already have some experience working with software like Hadoop, Kafka, Spark and other members of the distributed computing world. Since you'll be joining an existing team of SREs you'll have plenty of space and opportunities to get familiar with our tech, so there's no need to immediately have the answer to every question.
We are a full-time distributed team with no one working out of the actual Wikimedia office, so we are all together in the same remote boat. Part of the team is in Europe and part in the United States. We see each other in person two or three times a year, either during one of our off-sites (most recently in Europe), the Wikimedia All Hands (once a year), or Wikimania, the annual international conference for the Wiki community.
You are responsible for:
- Integrating an open-source GPU software platform like AMD ROCm in Hadoop and in the Tensorflow-related ecosystem
- Improving the security of our data by adding Kerberos authentication to the analytics Hadoop cluster and its satellite systems
- Building the Foundation's new event data platform infrastructure
- Implementing alarms that alert the team of possible data loss or data corruption
- Building a new and improved Jupyter notebooks ecosystem for the Foundation and the community to use
- Upgrading the cluster to Hadoop 3
- Replacing Oozie by Airflow as a workflow scheduler
Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years experience in an SRE/Operations/DevOps role as part of a team
- Experience in supporting complex web applications running highly available and high traffic infrastructure based on Linux
- Comfortable with configuration management and orchestration tools (Puppet, Ansible, Chef, SaltStack, etc.), and modern observability infrastructure (monitoring, metrics and logging)
- An appetite for the automation and streamlining of tasks
- Willingness to work with JVM-based systems
- Comfortable with shell and scripting languages used in an SRE/Operations engineering context (e.g. Python, Go, Bash, Ruby, etc.)
- Good understanding of Linux/Unix fundamentals and debugging skills
- Strong English language skills and ability to work independently, as an effective part of a globally distributed team
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science, related field or equivalent in related work experience. Do not feel you need a degree to apply; we value hands-on experience most of all.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.