SENIOR COMMUNITY RELATIONS SPECIALIST
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a collaborative Senior Community Relations Specialist to support the Fundraising, Community Resources, and Partnerships teams in the Advancement Department.
Community Relations Specialists serve the Wikimedia Foundation, contributors and readers by supporting teams that collaborate with Wikimedia communities. This role will report to the Vice President of Advancement and will support effective engagement between the Wikimedia Foundation staff and Wikimedia communities. We strive to engage a high quantity and diversity of Wikimedians in the Foundation’s projects to contribute to good common understanding, smooth collaboration, and strong results.
You are responsible for:
- Build relationships and facilitate effective engagement between the Wikimedia communities and the Advancement team.
- Communicate plans and updates from the Advancement department to the Wikimedia communities in various channels (facilitated sessions, on-wiki, surveys, etc).
- Facilitate regular feedback sessions with Advancement staff and community members.
- Creatively design and manage the systems, tools, and channels to maximise collaboration and communication with the community.
- Help the Advancement team contextualize and understand community feedback to incorporate into immediate plans and long term strategy.
- Maintain awareness of developments in the Wikimedia movement and other departments that may affect the work of the Advancement team and use excellent judgement to determine needs and make recommendations for appropriate solutions.
- Support the Advancement department by taking on occasional assignments for other department priorities, as needed.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience working with multilingual and multicultural online communities; passion for online collaboration and constructive public discussion.
- Experience with hosting and/or participating in healthy, diverse, communication tools and channels
- Competence working in teams partially or totally remote, sometimes at inconvenient times.
Qualities that are important to us:
- Emotionally mature and self-reliant; tolerates ambiguity and maintains positive, respectful professional relationships.
- Organized, efficient, proactive, able to meet deadlines.
- Quick-learning and flexible, particularly around online communities, public policies and technologies.
- Outstanding organizational and interpersonal communication skills, with an ability to communicate with key stakeholders in styles ranging from precisely detailed to clear and simple, depending on context.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Fluency in multiple languages
- Good knowledge of Wikimedia communities’ dynamics, communication tools and channels
- Experience using MediaWiki software or markup languages like XML, HTML, or TeX.
- Experience with bug tracking and product management tools like Asana or Phabricator
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.