The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Privacy Engineer to join our team, reporting to the Director of Security. We are looking for a privacy practitioner to partner with research, engineering, legal, and security teams at the Wikimedia Foundation to help build new features that allow these teams and others to create new and exciting ways to share knowledge while respecting our users' privacy. You must have a passion for the WMF mission. Privacy is one of the core values of the Wikimedia Foundation and you will be joining the team responsible for designing, implementing, applying, and socializing privacy solutions and best-practices throughout WMF. This is your opportunity to participate in and provide security and privacy solutions so together we can create a world in which everyone can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
You are responsible for:
- Developing technical solutions to help mitigate privacy vulnerabilities.
- Conduct privacy audits.
- Evaluate current organizational privacy risk profile.
- Identify improvement areas and provide organization wide privacy awareness training.
- Work with teams to ensure they make safe and compliant, design and architectural decisions.
- Work with legal to evaluate current and upcoming privacy initiatives and laws.
- Work across the foundation to implement Privacy by Design.
Skills and Experience:
- Understanding of best practices in data handling and privacy.
- Experience in policy creation and enforcement.
- Data science, data engineering, or software engineering experience.
- Familiarity with privacy regulations.
- Familiarity with NIST Privacy Framework.
- Experience working with risk and governance.
Qualities that are important to us:
- Wikimedia community experience.
- Passion for all things open source.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.