MANAGER, GLOBAL BRAND
The Wikimedia Foundation seeks a strategic, collaborative, and creative brand leader to help us advance one of the world’s most beloved brands: Wikipedia. This position is part of our larger Communications Team and reports to our Director of Brand.
In this role, you will work with a brand team, Wikimedia volunteers, external partners, technologists, media outlets, and Foundation staff to maintain and grow the Wikimedia brand.
You are responsible for:
- Evolving brand management systems and practices allowing various audiences to easily use brand materials
- Implementing brand strategy recommendations collected from the 2030 Wikimedia Movement Strategy, 2018-19 Brand Research project, and 2020 Movement Brand Project
- Developing tools for measuring and managing brand value
- Reviewing and responding to requests that make use of the brand
- Managing team of brand professionals including Brand Collabs Lead and a Brand Associate to ensure strategic impact of cultural collaborations and community brand materials
- Educating volunteers, partners, and collaborators on the correct usage of brand materials
- Building and maintaining design library of materials, icons, logos, colors, typefaces, and guidelines for volunteers and partners around the world to use
- Developing new programs, partnerships, and events to increase the global impact of Wikipedia and related projects
- Actively positioning the Wikipedia brand amidst changing technology, societal, and cultural factors
- Collaborating with volunteers around the world to ensure brand materials are globally-relevant
- Researching, measuring, and reporting on brand health
Skills and Experience:
- 3-5 years of relevant brand management or marketing experience
- Success working with collaborators across design, technology, legal, marketing, and creative professional fields
- Ability to develop globally-sensitive communications materials
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
Qualities that are important to us:
- Resilience—we work on new and interesting problems in public and collaborative ways
- Being open, curious, and inquiring in our work
- Internal motivation and high standards
- Working together for outcomes, and being willing to let go to scale or change course
- Sharing a culture of constructive criticism and respect
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Fluency in multiple languages
- Experience working with volunteer-led organizations
- Understanding of free licensing and copyright
NOTE: When submitting your application, please submit a cover letter conveying why you are interested in this role and our mission.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.