About Wikipedia product
Wikipedia is looking for an experienced and collaborative Product Manager to drive improvements to Wikipedia that enable our communities to achieve our Vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
Product Managers at Wikipedia work with engineers, designers, researchers and communities of users to build features, products and services used by hundreds of millions of people around the world. This is an opportunity to have a high level of positive impact, worldwide.
About the role
For this role, you will join our Android Team, which manages all aspects of Wikipedia’s Android app, including how users create and consume Wikipedia content on the app. The Android team pursues some of our most experimental and exciting work, such as “suggested edits”, which recommends easy and quick ways to edit Wikipedia. The Android app is used by about 5 million people per month globally. As a product manager on this relatively small team, you are responsible for a large part of the Wikipedia user experience.
You are responsible for:
- Leading the prioritization and development of features that will enhance the development and consumption of Wikipedia content through our native Android app
- Integrating organizational strategy, data, dependencies
- Co-creating and communicate Android product vision to internal and external partners
- Working with a highly talented team of engineers, designers, researchers, community specialists and data analysts to define, design, and build features that delight
- Using organizational strategy, the needs of users, resourcing and data in order to prioritize new features and product enhancements
- Setting and measuring success metrics
- Collaborating with our large community of active users and volunteers to improve features
- Using both qualitative and quantitative methods to inform decisions and measure the impact of features
- Partnering with technical teams to build core capabilities that will support Android and other platforms
- Being a positive force for change!
Skills and Experience:
- 2+ years consumer-facing software product management experience
- Experience working with large groups of active collaborators: community building, activism, product evangelism, or in open-source movements
- Experience working in an agile software development environment
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience building mobile apps
- Experience launching and growing apps in emerging markets
- Experience working with distributed teams
- Working knowledge of the Android platform, Play Store ecosystem, and app growth
- Proficiency in more than one language
- Experience editing Wikipedia
- Experience with open source software development
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.