The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for an Email Campaign Manager (ECM). You will be a key participant in the online fundraising team’s year-round, multilingual fundraising campaigns. The magic of the online fundraising team’s process is its dedication to controlled (“a/b”) testing, which leverages Wikipedia’s audience of millions of readers to iterate and improve all elements of our online donor pipeline. We use that testing model on the email team to contact more than 15 million people each year while ensuring we respect our donors' time and their inboxes. The ECM will work with the Email Production Specialist (EPS), Content Manager (CM), Campaign Managers (CaMs), and Senior Fundraising Managers (SFMs) to coordinate the day-to-day processes and creative strategy of the multilingual email fundraising campaign. They will ensure stakeholders across the fundraising team understand our schedules and strategies, shore up QA processes, and deliver high-performing, mission-aligned campaigns that represent over 30% of the organization's annual revenue. Further, they will support the SFMs to provide organization and creative development for WMF’s overall email fundraising strategy.
An ideal candidate has experience managing bulk email campaigns, coding bulk emails, thrives on A/B test results, and brings new ideas on how we can scale up our email program so our donors stay engaged. Above all, the Email Campaign Manager will be a critical part of getting out the message to Wikipedia readers and donors that free knowledge is worth supporting.
You are responsible for:
- Manage the delivery of more than 40 million emails a year to donors in 20 countries and 15 languages, ensuring high-quality, high-converting content
- Maintain a rigorous A/B testing strategy, working closely with the Campaign Manager and Email Production Specialist to produce tests and track results over time with the ultimate goal of increasing donation and conversion rates
- Manage the work of our Email Production Specialist, ensuring their ability to prioritize work, build their technical skill, and develop strong design and QA guidelines for our campaigns.
- Oversee campaign calendars and work with our Donor Services, Fundraising Tech, and Payments team members to establish optimal schedules
- Refine team processes around QA and test documentation to ensure high quality content is being produced at every level of the flow.
- Code error-free emails when the Email Production Specialist needs additional support.
- Support our Analytics and reporting team members in producing timely, accurate reports that tell a clear narrative about results
- Monitor campaign performance and identify changes in metrics that require immediate action
- Produce clear test recaps with the help of our Evaluation Consultant and work with CM to report a narrative behind results, making it easy for other teams to visualize the workings of the email program
- Outline timing and strategies for deliverability campaigns, helping to warm up new domains and improve deliverability for tricky email clients
- Document email program processes and identify opportunities for improvement
- Jump in temporarily to help with existing projects when gaps arise, or to support new projects that may come up
- Continually find ways to evolve and improve team processes
Skills and Experience:
Qualities that are important to us:
- Fantastic attention to detail; “our process is our product.”
- Mastery managing fundraising email campaigns from beginning to end
- Proficient knowledge of HTML and CSS for email, Adobe Creative Cloud or similar, and enterprise Email Service Provider(s)
- Relevant project management and production experience
- A track record of A/B testing and using data to drive decisions
- The ability to thrive in a distributed, international team. We care for each other and we care about hitting our impressive deliverables. Independence and self direction are critical.
- Adaptability - ability to work on fast-paced environment, with evolving processes
- A willingness to learn on the job and comfort working within fast-paced, technical environments.
- A passion for the Wikimedia Foundation's mission of creating a world in which every human can freely access the sum of all knowledge
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience managing creative contributors
- Exposure to work in multilingual and multinational markets
- A history of running successful campaigns to improve deliverability
- HTML and CSS for web, i.e. for landing page design
- Experience in designing graphics for campaigns
- Strong writing skills
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation