Come work within the Technology department as part of the Technical Engagement group at the Wikimedia Foundation! We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to support our engineers on the Cloud Services team.
The Cloud Services team is maintaining and extending a public cloud computing environment for the Wikimedia movement which provides tools, services, and support for technical collaborators contributing to Wikimedia projects. Our team maintains Infrastructure as a Service (OpenStack), Platform as a Service (Kubernetes, Son of Grid Engine), and numerous Data as a Service (MySQL/MariaDB, etc) products.
The team works in partnership with the larger Wikimedia volunteer community to manage the physical and virtual resources that power the environment and provide technical support to volunteer developers and other Wikimedia Cloud Services users. Our globally distributed team works remotely and so can you!
As a Cloud Services Engineering Manager, we’d like you to do these things:
- Coach engineers in being effective at meeting their goals
- Promote and support a culture of continuous improvement
- Collaboratively draft and execute the team’s annual and quarterly plans including defining metrics to measure impact
- Communicate timeline and resource expectations with community and other partners
- Project manage new and existing initiatives
- Recruit and hire new team members
- Support team members to develop their career paths
- Coordinate with other teams and individuals and contribute to the Wikimedia Foundation's organizational strategy
- Share our values, respect our code of conduct, adhere to our team norms, and work in accordance with all three
Experience we’d like you to bring to the table:
- Demonstrable experience managing engineering teams
- Senior level engineering mindset and experience in Linux ecosystems
- Ability to work independently, as an effective part of a globally distributed team
- Willing and able to travel several times a year for occasional in-person meetings
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or the equivalent in related work experience
And it would be even more awesome if you have any experience with any of these:
- Experience working on a geographically distributed engineering team
- Experience working as a Site Reliability Engineer or Operations Engineer supporting a web or cloud environment
- Experience applying one or more project management methodologies in a team balancing planned work and interrupt driven requests
- Experience participating in open source software projects and communities
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation