The purpose of this position is to coordinate and plan international meetings and multi-day working sessions for internal teams at the Wikimedia Foundation. The Wikimedia Foundation has over 300 staff that are located all around the globe. This meeting specialist will coordinate and plan with the Group Travel program manager, and travel team for approximately 30 events annually, and may attend approximately 8-10 larger global meetings.
*Please note that this is a 6 month remote contract that does not offer company benefits*
This role is for meeting and event planning professionals who can build positive relationships and deliver a wide breadth of services through experienced needs assessment, venue sourcing, contract review, and on-site meeting and logistic support. This position will understand safety and security planning, be familiar with resourceful, real-time problem solving, all while presenting with a positive service attitude in meeting the needs of our staff and groups traveling to do face to face work.
This entry-level role will work across time zones in a global environment. The successful candidate will be an excellent communicator, collaborative and creative problem solver. This person must be able to navigate working with other people so that we can The successful candidate will adjust to differing styles, anticipate issues and solve problems before they happen as well as bring quality and commitment to the work. This position will work with a small collaborative Travel team that takes pride in providing excellent meeting and group travel services to our staff and volunteers. The successful candidate will welcome the opportunity to contribute within a values-based organization committed to prudent passionate organizational goals and mission.
We’d like you to do these things:
- Develop and deliver project timeline and full-service logistical support for groups of 5 - 80 staff and volunteers.
- Provide venue, meeting and support solutions
- Deliver timely, clear, direct communication and information
- Employ creative, resourceful problem solving
- Anticipate needs and support department leads to provide onsite logistics, and ensure contractual obligations are met
- Provide research and information regarding global hotels and venues
- Prepare group travel cost estimates and options
- Communicate travel booking deadlines/offsite information to staff and volunteer attendees.
- Prepare rooming lists, communicate and track changes with hotels
- Prepare and publish group travel manifests
- Review, reconcile and route hotel/venue invoices.
- Track/follow up on deposits/payments with contracted venues and hotels
- Assist in tracking and reporting group travel/meeting metrics.
- Assist in creating offsite/group attendee surveys for both staff and volunteers
- May reserve and issue airline tickets.
We’d like you to have these skills:
- Experienced project planning in delivering international meeting management
- Building positive, reliable relationships with all levels of staff
- Experience with Google suite and software
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent written communication (English)
- Experience working with international cultures and staff
- Resourceful budget management
- A responsive and quick learner that adapts and adjusts through inquiry
- Ability to sense situations, issues, and team needs for enhanced support, service and risk management
- Be enthusiastic for research, planning logistics, organizing the small and large details.
- A minimum of 2 years of meeting and event planning support with increasing responsibility
- Demonstrated technical aptitude and savvy, ability to adjust, learn and use new and different software to deliver on a variety of support responsibilities
- Professional writing and communication skills
- Venue and meeting contract review
- Desire and ability to travel globally
- Demonstrated productivity in personal remote working environment
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in collaboration with stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability in planning and organizing information for varied audiences
- Technical ability to learn new s/w and our on wiki publishing
- Demonstrated ability in anticipating needs and providing solutions in meeting and logistical support
- Experience and flexibility to work with all levels of staff including a wide range of diversity and talent
- Ability to learn, adapt and thrive in changing, responsive service-oriented environment
- Desire to produce quality work in a service-oriented environment with passionate staff and community
- Must be able to provide computer and internet connection for remote working environment that meet the bandwidth of the position.
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
- Bachelor’s degree or vocational experience for role and position
- Experience with booking airfare, hotels
- Experience in event planning
- Personal or professional international travel experience
- Working in a technical organization in operational, administrative and service positions
- International time zone and virtual community experience
- Some fluency in languages other than English
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation