Affiliate Committee Support Associate (Contractor)
Hours: 40 per week
Contract Length: 1 year
The Wikimedia Foundation is committed to providing access to crowd-sourced information resources that reflect the knowledge of the world. One of the ways we support this goal is through providing essential infrastructure to a growing network of Wikimedia movement affiliate organizations who coordinate the work of volunteers in geographical regions or thematic focus areas. These organizations enhance the focus and work of our movement and increase the diversity of leadership. Among our commitments to this network is supporting the work of the international Affiliations Committee.
The Affiliations Committee (AffCom) recommends recognition of new Wikimedia affiliate groups, derecognition of existing affiliates, and facilitates the work of recognized groups reporting and accountability. When inter-group conflicts arise, AffCom mediates and resolves these conflicts. The Affiliate Committee Support contractor will work closely with the Community Development team and the AffCom to provide facilitation and project management support, bolster committee training and development, and help to realize committee opportunities to guide our affiliate ecosystem’s growth along shared movement goals.
Reporting to the Manager of Community Development, you will make meaningful contributions to the growth, diversity, inclusiveness, strength and capacity of the Wikimedia community’s network of affiliates across the world by supporting the governance, health, and sustainable functioning of the AffCom and affiliates ecosystem.
The team is committed to supporting a healthy affiliate ecosystem as part of the Thriving Movement vision as set out in the Foundation’s Mid-Term Plan (MTP). Affiliates provide the networks and structures that tie distributed communities and contributors into a collective movement.
You are responsible for:
This will include working closely with our Affiliations Committee and our Community Development team members and activities will include:
Supporting AffCom’s day-to-day operations
- Assisting with management and administration of volunteer committee members including task management and weekly progress updates
- Managing and tracking the AffCom budget’s expenses and supporting planning and approvals processes for the budget
- Supporting communications within the committee
- Drafting and facilitating communications between the committee and affiliates, in partnership with the Strategic Communications Officer, the Legal team, and other stakeholders
- Assisting with record-keeping, and support the maintenance of records
- Working with AffCom to maintain high-functioning, motivated members and the transfer of knowledge from departing members to new members
Supporting the smooth handling of the affiliate recognition processes
- Tracking incoming applications
- Completing the timely review and processing of user group applications and renewals, and overseeing the timely review and committee decision-making on chapter and thematic organization applications and guiding the affiliate derecognition process with the committee when necessary
- Maintaining documentation and ensuring regular communications to the community and the Foundation on affiliate recognition, derecognition, governance development and conflict management.
- Developing, leading collaborative review, and routing the quarterly Affiliates Status Report
- Completing eligibility screening for key Movement events
- Maintaining affiliate listings on meta
Supporting the AffCom’s strategic projects and events
- Participating in and maintaining administrative support to AffCom monthly calls (i.e., subcommittee, officers, and full committee calls)
- Lending project management and facilitative support for the recruitment and selection of new members and nomination and election of officers
- Planning, organizing, and providing facilitation for annual strategic meeting
- Supporting AffCom’s Conflicts subcommittee to advance on intervention and prevention strategies and maintaining conflict investigation support and liaising with Trust & Safety
Supporting AffCom alignment and Sustainability
- Participating in the development and implementation of a holistic affiliate engagement framework in collaboration with other colleagues, under the guidance of the Manager of Community Development.
- Building AffCom’s capacity to self-govern by developing onboarding/offboarding protocols; “training the trainers” so that new members can be guided by existing ones; and implementing with Trust & Safety, training on handling conflict, as well as on behavioral and mediation cases.
- Coordinating sub-committees within the AffCom structure dedicated to issues such as recognition and support to new affiliates, conflict prevention, and mediation.
- Collaborating with AffCom on a new member recruitment process that emphasizes diversity, expertise, and representation.
- After 2030 movement strategy outcomes and recommendations are issued, assessing how these will affect AffCom and working with the committee to implement relevant recommendations on AffCom’s mandate, role and responsibilities, with the long-term goal of helping AffCom become operationally self-sufficient, resilient and sustainable.
- Other duties as needed
Skills and Experience:
- Experience and ease working internationally within multilingual and multicultural contexts and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to work systematically to ensure accuracy and quality
- Ability to listen actively, moderate discussions, resolve challenges and facilitate solutions calmly and constructively.
- A participatory approach to meeting goals, which prioritizes respect for and openness to diverse backgrounds and expertise.
- A strong level of written and spoken English, as well as the ability to communicate clearly with non-native English speakers. Non-native English speakers are welcomed.
Qualities that are important to us:
- A passion for and belief in free and open knowledge, especially in Wikimedia projects.
- Experience facilitating support for decentralized online or volunteer communities
- Respect for and acceptance of multiple cultures and customs, and a curiosity about the world.
- Commitment to and belief in the value of inclusion, equity and diversity.
- Willingness to undertake travel 2-3 times per year, Energy and ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Proficiency and fluency in languages other than English
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation