The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Senior Accountant who will be a member of the accounting team and responsible for assisting with the execution of daily accounting processes, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, month-end close, and year-end tax preparation and audit processes in a fast paced, agile environment. Under the supervision of the Accounting Manager, the Senior Accountant will partner with the Accounting team and other teams within the foundation to ensure that there are sufficient systems and procedures in place to provide effective support to existing and new program implementation.
You are responsible for:
- Preparing monthly bank and general ledger account reconciliations.
- The maintenance of the general ledger.
- Month-end closing journal entries, including expenses accruals and prepaid amortization.
- Reviewing weekly A/P and expense reports, includes verifying the accuracy of coding.
- Reviewing monthly credit card reconciliation and charges.
- Overseeing fixed assets capitalization and depreciation.
- Assisting with month-end and year-end reporting
- Assisting with the annual audit and preparation of financial statements under GAAP for Not-for-Profit organizations
- Assisting with the Sales tax return preparation and annual tax preparation form 990
- Overseeing the preparation and filing of the annual Form 1099.
- Assisting with the continuous improvement of processes.
- Additional duties assigned as required.
Qualities that are important to us:
- B.A. Degree in Accounting or Finance from a four-year college or university.
- Minimum of 3 years of progressive Accounting experience.
- Knowledge and experience implementing accounting internal control procedures.
- Knowledge of GAAP for Not-for-Profit organizations.
- Deep understanding of accrual basis accounting
- Proactive learner, enjoys problem solving, takes ownership
- Strong communication skills, including verbal and written.
- Ability to effectively communicate to all levels of the organization.
- Ability to manage multiple competing tasks and meet established deadlines.
- Ability to work as part of an integrated team as well as independently.
- Ability to work in an open, transparent, and collaborative environment.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong Excel skills.
- Strong accounting system skills.
- Ability to work well with people with a very wide diversity of demographic and cultural characteristics.
IF YOU ARE:
- A focused and detail-oriented individual that thrives in a highly collaborative, dynamic, fast paced and agile environment.
- Passionate for numbers, spreadsheets, and can easily get excited about accounting principles discussions.
- An individual that takes pride in personal and professional responsibility and integrity.
THEN WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation