An inspiring group leader
- Thoughtful coach mentoring teams to high standards of quality and accountability
- People and program champion, communicating our project plans, their purpose, and their value to the organization
- Curious about new ideas and shaping team culture with informed perspectives
...who loves to dig into what makes people and systems work well
- Supports healthy team dynamics that welcome diverse perspectives while increasing our shared impact
- Unpacks complex challenges with active listening, and co-creates motivating, evidence-informed practices
- Ensures delivery of multiple cross-team projects efficiently and on-time
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for an experienced Program Manager to join our Communications department. You will work with department leadership creating budgets and project roadmaps, and ensuring strong coordination and alignment between our branding, marketing, and communications functions. This collaborative role is for a strategic leader dedicated to operational excellence—eager to develop systems and processes that increase our impact.
We are looking for someone who will become a trusted partner and a key member of our department that multiple teams will depend on for guidance about commitments, dependencies, and deliverables.
- Serving as a strategic thought partner to Communications department peers and partner with Communications department directors to support department-wide planning
- Co-creating benchmarks with department Directors, and tracking data based measures of success across the organization
- Coordinating shared understanding of outcomes and expectations across diverse set of stakeholders, managing processes, identifying and clearing operational bottlenecks and integrating timely opportunities
- Leading project planning, standups, retrospectives, and supporting internal team capacity-building efforts and promoting a culture of continuous improvement
- Ensuring that teams understand their commitments to goals and to other teams
- Identifying stakeholders and keeping them aware of progress, and coordinating communications and process with other teams
- Anticipating risks, resolving conflicts, and initiating escalation paths
Qualities that are important to us as a team
- Resilience—we work on new and interesting problems in public and collaborative ways
- Being open, curious, and inquiring in our work
- Internal motivation and high standards
- Working together for outcomes, and being willing to let go to scale or change course
- Sharing a culture of constructive criticism and respect
- Natural inclination for team collaboration and for helping colleagues succeed
- 2+ years experience as a strategic leader of programs
- 4+ years managing the release of communications and or marketing efforts
- Ability to build relationships and trust, influence without authority, and effortlessly enforce accountability
Nice to have
- Experience working with programs that bridge communications, product, technology, and law
- Experience working in an international organization that has a distributed workforce and a very strong culture
- Experience in Africa, India, East Asia, or the Middle East is a huge plus
- PMP certification
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation