Software Engineer, iOS
Preferred Location: North America
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Software Engineer to join the iOS team, reporting to the Apps Engineering Manager. As a Software Engineer, you will be responsible for thoughtfully crafting user experiences that empower and delight our users. You will work closely with the rest of the team to collaboratively iterate on new ideas. In this role, you will create new features, fix bugs, and define the future of Wikipedia on mobile devices.
You are responsible for:
- Writing clean, concise code in Swift and Objective-C
- Working with other engineers through technical collaboration, discussion, and code review
- Iterating on new features through with designers and product managers
- Ensuring the quality of the app through thoughtful code architecture decisions and automated testing
Skills and Experience:
- 2+ years iOS development experience
- Significant contributions to at least one published app in the App Store
- Familiarity with the iOS Human Interface Guidelines, implementation, and best practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor's degree or the equivalent in related work experience
Qualities that are important to us:
- Working closely with designers, product managers, and engineers to iterate toward a shared vision
- Constantly improving your craft in pursuit of creating the best possible user experiences
- Delving into unfamiliar areas and learn new things to solve complex problems
- Proactively finding and reporting potential bugs or user experience issues for discussion with the team
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Built web services or APIs
- Automated development processes
- Written unit and UI tests
- Worked in a remote environment
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation