Title: Senior Partnerships Manager, Strategic Partnerships
The Wikimedia Foundation, the nonprofit that oversees Wikipedia, is committed to providing free knowledge for every person on the planet. The Strategic Partnerships team engages with technology companies, educational institutions, governments, and open-source allies to advance the goals of the Wikimedia Foundation and the Wikimedia movement. Our team supports WMF’s Product, Technology, Community Engagement, Communications, and Legal departments to advance their goals through partnerships. We have ambitious goals at the foundation, and we realize we cannot achieve them on our own. To ensure free knowledge for everyone we must build strategic partnerships with aligned organizations.
The core purpose of this job is to identify, drive, and manage strategic relationships with large-scale technology companies in support of WMF’s Product and Technology goals. The ideal candidate will have one foot in the product world and one foot in relationship management, with enough technical expertise to understand the core needs of WMF’s Product and Technology teams, discuss those needs with external partners, and screen potential inbound integration partnerships.
We’d like you to do these things:
- Identify, secure, and manage strategic partnerships with global technology companies, including internet companies, mobile carriers, phone/tablet manufacturers, open-source organizations, and other similar private and not for profit mission-aligned stakeholders.
- Serve as a thought leader within the Wikimedia Foundation, identifying areas that the foundation can achieve its goals through partnerships rather than going it alone.
- Build cross-departmental relationships and serve as the liaison between the Partnerships team and other departments, spreading our team’s mission as a “Partnerships as a Service” team to other departments.
- Collaborate with other teams and departments in the Foundation (i.e., Community Engagement, Communications, Product & Technology teams, etc.) to develop and support the programs that require cross-functional resources and expertise.
- Represent our team and especially our programmatic work to multiple audiences, including our communities, partners and Foundation staff.
- Identify untapped opportunities and potential partners to strengthen our programs and increase alignment with other international movements
We’d like you to have these skills:
- Strategic mindset - We’d love for you to see not only what is, but what could be.
- Relationship-builder - We’re looking for someone with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively at multiple levels and across industries. Ideally, you love meeting new people and working with them to identify new ways of working together.
- Strong facilitation, problem-solving, and decision-making skills - this role will balance multiple stakeholders, both within the organization (spanning across Product, Technology, Communications, and Community Engagement) and outside of it. To excel in this role you must be able to work cross-functionally and cross-culturally and be able to identify simple solutions to complex problems and function well in ambiguity
- Structured thinking and orientation towards action - We’d like you to be able to anticipate risks, resolve conflicts, and initiate escalation paths while managing multiple priorities and deadlines. Ideally, you marry your strategic mindset with an orientation towards delivering results.
- Mission-driven - we’re looking for someone with a passion for reducing the access-to-knowledge gap and increasing global knowledge equity. Alignment with Wikimedia’s values; comfortable working in a highly transparent, collaborative, and remote/distributed team environment.
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
- Global perspective, with significant experience living or working internationally
- Experience working with online communities, particularly as part of the free culture movement.
- Passion for or experience contributing to Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia projects.
When submitting, please include a Cover Letter detailing your interest level in the Wikimedia Foundation and also this role.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation