The WikiCite program has been running for the past 3 years as a series of conferences and outreach events to convene a community of Wikimedia volunteers, developers, librarians, and researchers to create a central, collaboratively created repository of source metadata to serve free knowledge. The Wikimedia Foundation, on behalf of the WikiCite Organizing Committee, is looking to hire a part-time Outreach Specialist (Program Manager) to help us shepherd the initiative into the future and to coordinate efforts among the Wikimedia Foundation, our community and other stakeholders. WikiCite is supported by a 3-year grant from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation and is currently in its second year of the grant. This program manager role will report to the PI on the grant and become a core member of the Organizing Committee. The goal of the contract is primarily focused on running an RFP to solicit and evaluate proposals for satellite events and outreach activities in 2019-20, project manage the activities of the Organizing Committee, and manage community communications on the appropriate channels as detailed below. This is a 15+/week part-time contract, that will begin immediately and end on September 30, 2020.
As a Program Manager for WikiCite, you will:
- Convene the organizing committee on a cadence, coordinate agendas, and be responsible for overall project management within the committee
- Design and run the end-to-end process for an RFP to sponsor and support satellite events and outreach activities in FY20, in collaboration with the WikiCite Organizing Committee. This includes setting up the communication, evaluation process, and announcement of the successful applications, as well as coordinating with the PI and Wikimedia’s Finance team for the disbursement of funds.
- Coordinate the outreach strategy - shepherding the committee to agree on
- The event strategy for the current year and the 3rd year of the grant (annual conferences, smaller satellite events, sending people to target communities, etc)
- Overall strategic focus areas of WikiCite convenings
- Manage the communication channels used by the community and by the steering committee for the duration of the contract (WikiCite page on Meta, wikicite-discuss and wikicite (organizers) mailing list, @wikicite handle on Twitter)
- Coordinate the drafting of the annual report at the end of the Fiscal Year (summer 2020)
- Coordinate with the PI, the WMF Finance and Advancement teams on spending and reporting on the grant
- Serve as bridge between WMF and the WikiCite organizing committee and community
- Assist the WikiCite organizing committee in engaging more community members in the organization of WikiCite activities
- Network with allies in the open knowledge, open data, and open science communities
- Help keep the public-facing documentation of the program on Meta up to date
- You are a clear communicator.
- You can operate in ambiguity and help a group of people find the path forward.
- You are fluent in using spreadsheets and have experience project managing a team of volunteers.
- You can work with people in different teams within WMF and outside of the organization effectively.
- Experience with writing grant reports and convening grant making bodies is a plus.
- Domain expertise with the Wikidata and WikiCite community, linked open data stakeholders, and libraries is a plus.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation