Location: Remote (LATAM)
The Wikimedia Foundation, the nonprofit that oversees Wikipedia, is committed to providing free knowledge for every single person on the planet. Strategic partnerships in emerging markets can increase Wikipedia’s reach and accelerate the growth of our free licensed content in multiple languages and cultures. This role will be crucial to design and implement a partnerships strategy for LATAM, with a special focus on increasing usage, access, and awareness of Wikimedia projects, as well as the availability of locally relevant content. Join us and help grow the number of people who can freely share and participate in the sum of human knowledge.
- Secure and manage strategic partnerships to expand awareness, reach, and usage of Wikimedia sites as well as availability of locally relevant content with private and not for profit mission-aligned stakeholders in the information, technology, and education ecosystem.
- The focus for partnerships will be local, regional, and global technology companies with a presence in Latin America as well as mobile carriers, phone/tablet manufacturers, technology developers, and other similar private and not for profit mission-aligned stakeholders. These efforts will also include strategic partnerships with governments, ministries, and international bodies in support of the same goals
- Explore and evaluate new partnerships and initiatives that can significantly increase Wikipedia's footprint in Latin America
- Strategize and provide support for scaling ongoing partnerships in other regions to be implemented in LATAM countries
- Represent Wikipedia and all our knowledge-based projects in the region
- In collaboration with the Community Engagement department, engage with local Wikimedia communities in the region when relevant around partnership opportunities
- Represent Wikimedia in internal and external conferences and events as needed
- Mission-driven individual with a passion for reducing the access to knowledge gap in emerging markets
- Alignment with Wikimedia’s values; comfortable working in a highly transparent, collaborative, and remote/distributed team environment.
- 5-8 years of experience in business development, marketing and/or strategy, including work in emerging countries, ideally in both consumer and B2B
- Previous experience in setting and executing strategic business development plans in the region
- Experience building and managing relationships with governments, international organizations, educational institutions, mobile operators, phone manufacturers, relevant technology and internet players, and other private and not for profit relevant stakeholders in the technology and educational ecosystem
- Problem-solving skills and flexibility to work cross-functionally and cross-culturally
- Capable of managing multiple priorities and deadlines; have a structured approach and be geared to deliver results
- Excellent communication and presentation skills needed to pitch and secure partnerships opportunities for local and global audiences to high-level executives
- Be a true team player; enjoying working with a small and highly collaborative team
- Work and/or life experience in emerging countries. Writing and speaking proficiency in English and Spanish required (Portuguese a plus)
- Currently residing in Latin America
- Must be willing to travel internationally (roughly 20%-30% time) and work flexible hours to meet the requirements of global partner relationships
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
Please include a cover letter describing your specific interest in this position.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation