The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking a Vice President of Community Growth to advance the Wikimedia movement’s vision of every single human being able to freely share in the sum of all knowledge; as well as its strategic direction, which states that by 2030, Wikimedia will become the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge, and anyone who shares our vision will be able to join us.
Reporting to the Chief of Community Engagement, you will strive to align the team’s goals to the Movement’s 2030 Strategic Direction and the Wikimedia Foundation’s Medium Term Plan. Leading by example, you and your teams will make meaningful contributions to the growth, diversity, inclusiveness, strength and capacity of the Wikimedia community’s network of affiliates, organizers and contributors across the world. In addition to engaging across other Foundation departments to coordinate efforts, you will also negotiate collectively with and influence external partners whose work supports that of the Wikimedia Foundation.
The Wikimedia community is large, diverse, and thriving. You will empower the work of our local volunteer communities through ensuring capacity development and training needs are met in a range of learning contexts and languages. The Chief of Community Engagement will look to you as a credible and strategic thought-partner for implementing a flexible and highly effective growth strategy which is led and driven by community.
Through your experience managing large, multi-cultural and distributed teams, you will lead the expansion of a newly formed global team of passionate and high performing individuals committed to the growth of thematic knowledge clusters and regionally-based community activities. You will also oversee the management of conferences and events across the world to convene our online communities for in-person meetings.
A significant track record of leadership experience in managing complex international programs, budgets and individual goals that involve several geographies, cultures, languages and/or countries is crucial for success in this role. This role may be based anywhere and will require regular travel around the world.
You are responsible for:
- Comprising, organizing and leading a newly formed Community Growth team to identify innovative strategies for growing the reach and impact of Wikimedia communities across the world, and to implement effective and impactful work programs against established goals and targets. This includes fostering innovative approaches to community-led growth, in line with community aspirations and needs.
- Engaging regularly and forging strong relationships of trust with communities across the world, practising active listening, and demonstrating strong cross-cultural understanding of their desires and needs, as well as strong understanding and demonstration of the values and ethos of the movement.
- Advising the Chief of Community Engagement on a range of issues relating to community needs, innovative activities, future growth dynamics, regional developments and trends in our movement, as well as international activities that impacts and affects our movement.
- Collaborating closely with the Chief of Community Engagement, the Vice President of Community Support and Services and the Community Engagement leadership team to set future strategy, annual individual goals and budgets for the department, and to implement these effectively and impactfully.
- Participating in the wider Wikimedia Foundation senior leadership circle to set goals and strategies for the Foundation.
- Ensuring that the Community Growth team is able to implement those parts of the 2030 Movement Strategy (now being finalized) for which it is responsible.
- Working with the leadership of all other departments in the Foundation to create and execute a holistic strategy for community growth that incorporates their perspectives and supports their work priorities.
- Mentoring and coaching the Community Growth teams, prioritizing their professional development, and providing them with clarity and guidance as the team implements a new organizational structure.
- Representing Community Engagement and its Chief at Foundation events and/or external events of importance.
Skills & Experience:
- 12-15 years of experience managing large, geographically distributed, multi-national and multi-functional teams and working on international issues related to technology, techno-social movements, community led movements, free and open knowledge, and/or any other related field.
- Experience and ease working internationally within multilingual and multicultural contexts and with wide networks of stakeholders.
- Ability to listen actively, moderate discussions, resolve challenges and facilitate solutions calmly and constructively.
- Experience and skill in public speaking, ease in communicating with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in using data-driven and evidence-based approaches to growth, and in testing innovative approaches to challenges.
- A participatory approach to leadership, which prioritizes respect for and openness to diverse backgrounds and expertise.
- A strong level of written and spoken English, as well as the ability to communicate clearly with non-native English speakers. Non-native English speakers are welcomed.
Qualities that are important to us:
- Ability and willingness to undertake significant international travel.
- A passion for and belief in free and open knowledge.
- Respect for and acceptance of multiple cultures and customs, and a curiosity about the world.
- Commitment to and belief in the value of inclusion, equity and diversity.
- Energy and ability to work in a fast paced environment.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Proficiency and fluency in several languages other than English.
- Experience facilitating support for decentralized online or volunteer communities.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record