We are searching for an experienced operations engineer to join the Wikimedia Fundraising Engineering team. Each year, small donations from hundreds of thousands of individuals constitute the majority of the budget for the Wikimedia Foundation. This money is used primarily for projects, such as Wikipedia, and operational costs. We are looking for someone who wants to help Wikimedia’s non-profit fundraiser by helping to design, develop, and optimize the technical infrastructure and operations of the payments environment.
We’d like you to do these things:
- Maintain the security, scalability and availability of the donation pipeline
- Server and service deployments, server and database installations and configuration management
- Day to day optimizing and monitoring and maintenance of systems, including security response and database administration
- Emergency response to system outages
- Writing and updating internal documentation of systems and processes
- Work in tight collaboration with Fundraising Tech software engineers to design, implement, and improve the donation pipeline
- Maintain PCI compliance
- Assist in data center operations
We’d like you to have these skills:
The right person is better than the right set of experiences, these are the traits we’ve identified make great additions to our team so far.
- You have advanced knowledge of LAMP stack technologies and 5+ years of relevant work experience
- You are able to work independently where needed, and can work remotely as part of a globally distributed team
- You are able to learn quickly. Relevant hands-on experience and eagerness to learn and try new concepts is more important than having certificates
- Experience with configuration management systems and concepts (e.g. puppet, chef, cfengine)
- Experience with operating system distribution packaging systems (e.g. dpkg, RPM)
- Experience with large web site application architectures, including caching layers (memcached, redis, HTTP caching), storage scaling concepts
- Experience with internal infrastructure systems and concepts, e.g. DNS, NTP, LDAP
- Experience with systems programming and development in scripting languages such as Python, PHP, Ruby, Perl
- Experience with database administration (MySQL) and general storage systems
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
In addition to the basic skills needed for being successful these skills could set you apart from the pack!
- Experience working with PCI compliance standards
- Experience with network administration (device setup, VLANs, BGP/OSPF routing, high availability protocols)
- Experience with data center management (including power, space and cooling)
- Experience with systems and network security
- Understanding of the free culture movement
- Experience working with online volunteers
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record