A transcultural creative leader
- Thoughtful coach who directs teams to high standards of quality and consistency
- Strategic leader of people and effective, evidence-based creative work
- Insightful crafter of evocative concepts that unite across audiences and channel
- Curious, with informed perspectives on design, video, copy, interactive, and experiential creative work
Who loves to inspire communities
- Gets great work out of collaborative circumstances with a wide range of people
- Connects local creative efforts to shared global mission, with experience working in at least two places outside the US
- Experience with underrepresented people, topics, and marginalized communities
- Unpacks complex challenges with active listening to find authentic, motivating, creative ideas
As Creative Director, you are looking to join a team that is passionate about the power of brand, design and technology to change the world. This role will be responsible for collaborating on meaningful, idea-led work for a global movement and setting the creative vision for our programs. You will play a vital role in high visibility global projects critical to the future of Wikipedia.
You’ll be working with the Director of Brand to further develop the movement’s visual identity, voice and tone. You’ll lead creative work on everything from social graphics to larger scale action-oriented products and campaigns. Each with the goal of expressing the essence of Wikipedia in everything we do, with a vision that speaks to people who need free knowledge around the world.
The brand team works both out of the San Francisco headquarters and remotely, and is one part of a larger interdisciplinary department of strategists, writers, designers, and media experts.
- Lead small internal team of creative professionals, to innovate on and smartly evolve the Wikipedia visual brand, and to lead performance and professional development of creative staff members
- Build and direct network of creative professionals who want to help us in our global efforts
- Quickly, professionally, and patiently art direct and guide other members of the team- motivating and coaching where needed- taking lead on projects with initial sketches, concepting, and creative strategy development
- Help grow the brand and creative team as a resource to the organization and our larger movement of volunteers, defining team directions, budgets, and new teammates needed
- Lead team in the visual and creative development of a wide range of projects – including web/email/social/print/fundraising graphics, one-off partnerships/campaigns, merchandise, print materials, illustration, photography, and photo research ensuring that the visual and brand story are aligned.
- Collaborate with organizational staff and volunteers to build a culture of design and creative work in our movement, including robust measurement/refinement of creative work in objective-defined testing.
Qualities that are important to us as a team
- Resilience—we work on new and interesting problems in public and collaborative ways
- Being open, curious, and inquiring in our work
- Internal motivation and high standards
- Working together for outcomes, and being willing to let go to scale or change course
- Sharing a culture of constructive criticism and respect
- Natural inclination for team collaboration and for helping colleagues succeed
- 2+ years experience as a strategic leader of people
- 4+ years evidence-based creative work
- Portfolio required
- Experience in Africa, India, East Asia, or the Middle East is a huge plus
- Willingness and ability to travel, and flexibility to work throughout the week and weekend when needed
Reports to: Director of Brand
Location preferences: India, Indonesia, Kenya, South Africa, Nigeria, Mexico, Egypt, Brazil - or living elsewhere with detailed experience working in these key regions
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation