Reports to: Senior Global Brand Manager
Location: open to San Francisco (HQ) or Remote
The Wikimedia Foundation seeks a creative leader who can deliver world class creative and design for Wikipedia and elevate our efforts to support a global movement for free knowledge.
As Creative Director, you are a leader who is passionate about the power of brand, design and technology to change the world. This role will be responsible for stewarding meaningful, idea-led work for a global movement and setting the creative vision for our integrated programs. You will join our growing brand team and play a vital role in driving high visibility global projects critical to the future of Wikipedia.
Ideally you are:
- A proven and disciplined creative talent energized to reflect the authenticity, values, and power of a global movement into a comprehensive brand experience across global markets with sensitivity to culture and inclusion. You are an intentional designer who thrives in a fast-changing environment and consistently delivers high-quality work.
- An adaptive and growth-oriented leader who is equally comfortable rolling up their sleeves with day-to-day execution as they are with defining high-level vision and strategies that connect with global audiences, expanding the awareness of Wikimedia communities, and extending the vision of the Wikimedia Foundation.
- A highly collaborative manager and vibrant team player who is committed to continuous learning and supporting the professional growth, cultivation and development of a creative team. You can work closely with department colleagues, develop and cultivate emerging talents on a team, recruit and build support for shared visions, and integrate into a dynamic creative unit to collectively execute a singular and unique strategy.
You will join a growing and distributed team of highly collaborative and adaptive media strategists, marketers, writers and designers working to champion free information and knowledge around the world
You are responsible for:
Developing and leading core creative strategic initiatives, including:
- Co-creating creative strategy to elevate global awareness for Wikipedia, increase positive affinity for the Wikimedia brand and identify the resource needs to unify and clarify the look and feel for a global movement.
- Working in partnership with the global brand team to ensure creative efforts align with the standards, goals and vision of the organization and to define clear performance outcomes and measurable objectives for full portfolio of assets, projects and initiatives
- Managing creative research processes and translating data into actionable insights to support marketing, advertising, and digital strategies.
- Finding and building working relationships with new creative and production vendors, as well as strengthening partnerships with current vendors.
- Managing and leading a team of designers, partners and design agencies to create and develop compelling, brand-aligned art and collateral. Developing cross-platform creative assets to elevate long term perceptions of Wikipedia and the increase trust of readers, contributors, volunteers and donors.
Managing and executing key processes and functions to build and accelerate global brand awareness, including:
- Managing and regularly iterating creative functions of fast-moving marketing projects from inception through completion, oversee execution of creative concepts and programs.
- Guiding external agencies and partners on large scale integrated marketing campaigns and strategic initiatives, managing agency briefings and relationships.
- Working collaboratively in and across departments to translate brand, acquisition and marketing needs into directions that teams can successfully execute.
- Presenting creative initiatives to teams in compelling manner, translating complex ideas into beautiful, accessible visual executions.
Developing and leading creative team and collaborative projects, including: :
- Working with the Senior Global Brand Manager to define the look and feel of the global Wikimedia brand and align the full portfolio of assets, projects, and initiatives.
- Supporting the professional growth, cultivation and development of a creative team, developing and implementing scalable workflows, systems of responsibility and infrastructure reflective of a team that works in a global context.
- Collaborating across the organization working with directors and designers in Product and Fundraising to co-create world class look and feel on everything we make.
Skills and experience
- 3+ years leading design and creative, and getting great work from teams and agencies
- Experience managing multiple campaign types in parallel
- Creative mind with passion for authentic, inclusive design
- Ability to develop and drive projects from start to finish, coordinating resources and people
- Demonstrated ability to partner and collaborate with teams across an organization to achieve results
- Proven track record leading creating testing and defining methods and standards for optimal engagement
- Strong understanding and experience with diverse creative production processes and experience managing vendors
- Ability to adapt industry best practices for unique, free knowledge organization
- Experience working with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Ability to build strong working relationships across an organization
- Comfortable in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment
- Commitment to Wikimedia mission of making knowledge freely available to the world
Qualities that are important to us as a team
- Resilience—we work on new and interesting problems in public and collaborative ways
- Being open, curious, and inquiring in our work
- Internal motivation and high standards
- Working together for outcomes, and being willing to let go to scale or change course
- Sharing a culture of constructive criticism and respect
- Portfolio required
- Experience in Africa, India, or the Middle East is a huge plus
- Willingness and ability to travel, and flexibility to work throughout the week and weekend when needed
- Experience working with global nonprofit, international nongovernmental, or technology service organizations is a plus
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record