Status: Temp w/potential to extend or convert
The WMF Fundraising Department collaborates with and works as a part of the broad Wikimedia community -- including readers, donors and editors/contributors -- to raise required revenue for the Foundation in a way that promotes the health and growth of Wikimedia communities and the projects they create and manage.
The online fundraising team conducts worldwide banner and email campaigns across nearly 40 countries and 20 languages, collecting small dollar donations (averaging about $16.36) to support the Wikimedia Foundation’s mission to empower and engage people around the world with free knowledge. The Junior Data Analyst will support the fundraising team by generating actionable insights using a variety of big data sources, including donation, email engagement, and pageview data from our global fundraising campaigns. The Junior Data Analyst will extract and clean data to create reports and dashboards for tracking key fundraising metrics. This role will contribute to extracting and communicating data-driven insights to help inform the fundraising team’s strategic direction.
We’d like you to do these things:
- Monitoring global fundraising campaigns and identifying high-level trends across user segments and time periods.
- Working with the Data Analyst on forecasting trends for revenue and fundraising targets.
- Providing statistical guidance and interpretation of individual tests within our iterative A/B testing program.
- Developing, documenting, and disseminating data visualizations, reports, and dashboards.
- Communicating insights to a range of stakeholders within the organization.
We’d like you to have these skills:
- Experience applying statistical methods to real-world data.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, critical thinking and conceptual thinking abilities.
- A strong working knowledge of SQL.
- Proficiency with R or Python for analyzing and reporting on large data sets.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent work experience.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts clearly to stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to work in an open, transparent and collaborative environment.
- Ability to adapt quickly and easily to changing requirements in a data driven, fast-paced, tech-based non-profit organization.
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
- Experience with A/B and multivariate experiments
- Familiarity with big data tools such as Hadoop, Hive, and Spark
- Experience with digital marketing or fundraising campaigns
- Interest in or knowledge of Wikimedia projects, the free knowledge movement, and/or global online and volunteer communities
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply