Duration: 6 months, potential for extension or conversion (depending on performance)
Reports to: Director of Administration
Location: San Francisco, CA
The Administration department provides relevant, scalable business operational support services for each department with the goal and purpose of delivering quality business operations support services to ensure continuity, prudence, organization, communication, and recordkeeping functions to all teams and departments.
The Administration team resides within our Finance and Administration (F & A) department and reports to our Director of Administration who reports to the Chief Financial Officer. Keeping support services lean and scalable is key to our high ratings as a 501c3 organization.
Administration support is comprised of (3) sub-teams; Business Operations, the Travel team, and our Front office and Facilities staff. This position is part of the business operations team, whom are recruited with department specific skills and talents and have dedicated service assignments. There is often opportunity and visibility to develop and grow within the organization through supporting major efforts within the teams and for the organization and Director.
The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking a Project Assistant to provide quality operational services for our engineering department, a group of staff who build, improve, and maintain the products and technology that support the Wikimedia projects. This position will be a member of the Business Operations team and report to the Director of Administration.
The Project Assistant will partner closely with our engineering teams and all business offices to deliver a wide breadth of operational services. Support services will include event planning, expense reporting, scheduling, contracting, communication and correspondence, and special projects as identified and assigned.
We’d like you to do these things:
Staff Events: Partner with the Travel team to coordinate logistics for small to large team meetings and retreats. We support our projects and programs by bringing working teams together for collaboration both locally in San Francisco and at locations across the world. The Project Assistant with work closely with the engineering team leads and outside vendors to identify event needs and propose ideas to improve provided services and event quality. Responsibilities will include planning details such as catering, transportation, team-building activities, and other meeting logistics to ensure events are safe, meet a diverse set of needs, and use resources prudently.
Scheduling/Calendaring: Schedule complex and large meetings for distributed teams located across the world. The Project Assistant will manage calendars to ensure that leadership and content specialist’s time is well spent and meets identified scheduling needs.
Contracts: As key partners with accounting and finance, budget owners have clear path for procuring goods and services with timely controls and terms executed and recorded for proper oversight of services. The Project Assistant will help track and monitor the database entries, coordinate follow-up, and secure and record executed contracts for your team.
Meeting and light project management: In tandem with scheduling, provide agenda, timekeeping, and utilize coordination management skills to support team projects, budgets and deadlines.
General administrative support: Advise teams of operational processes and protocols and direct them to available resources. Produce timely expense and credit card reporting, oversee clerical projects such setting up organizational systems, reconciling text information, updating lists, entering data, running reports, and keeping documentation accurate and relevant.
Special projects as assigned: This is where we understand that each support professional likes to learn and do different things. We honor that, and want to engage your talents and development interests in other operational areas for mutually beneficial outcomes.
We have the following requirements, and would like you to have these skills:
- 5 years of working experience, ideally in professional support roles in medium to large organizations
- BA, BS, Technical, or applicable certification in vocation for role and position
- Experience with event planning including coordination with outside vendors, basic budgeting, and meeting logistics coordination.
- Demonstrated technical aptitude and savvy, ability to adjust, learn and use new and different open source software.
- Superior attention to detail and ability to anticipate needs and provide solutions
- Extensive experience with Google suite applications, with demonstrated effort to gain new skills
- Demonstrated experience organizing and maintaining data and information.
- Experience with scheduling and calendar management
- Setting up Teleconference and video conferencing meetings using current s/w and Google suite
- Excellent time management and communication skills.
- Excellent organization and planning skills
- Ability to flourish in a highly transparent, collaborative, and remote environment, and work on a team with diverse demographic and cultural characteristics.
- Derive satisfaction in support of others in a service oriented team of professionals
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
- International travel experience and multilingual skills
- Working with Concur Travel and Expense systems
- International time zone and virtual community experience
- Experience with editing on Wikipedia or other Wikimedia Foundation sister projects
- Experience working with open source software
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply