We are searching for people with a drive to explore, experiment, and learn new technologies. Are you comfortable working in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented, open environment and as part of a globally-distributed team? Then you might be just the person we need.
Location: Americas (remote); SF Bay Area preferred
- Manage a small team responsible for the Data Center Operations of Wikimedia’s global data center footprint (currently 8 PoPs in 3 continents and growing)
- Prioritize incoming workload and set realistic expectations to both peers and team members
- Support and mentor your team’s members to develop their career paths
- Continuously develop the roadmap of Data Center Operations, and help draft and execute the team’s annual and quarterly planning
- Coordinate and communicate with other members of the Wikimedia engineering teams on relevant projects and contribute to the organizational strategy
- Assist with the formation of the annual SRE budget with periodic planning of CapEx (equipment) and OpEx (hosting & service contracts) budget & spending.
- Coordinate with the Foundation’s Finance team on the execution of the budget, inventory management, and accounting and assist in improving the workflows between the two teams
- Draft RFPs and negotiate service contracts, equipment purchases, data center hosting and support contracts
- Partner with new and existing equipment vendors and stay on top of their roadmaps and developments
- Project manage new initiatives, such as the deployment of new data center locations
- Define, refine and execute processes that aid the team and all stakeholders in their daily activities
- Share our values and work in accordance with them
- 3+ years experience in data center operations, IT infrastructure, technical operations or similar role as part of a team
- 2+ years of experience as a people manager
- Hands-on experience with data center deployments, server & networking hardware
- Experience with managing geographically distributed infrastructure across multiple locations
- Experience applying project management methodologies to operations engineering work
- Experience defining, maintaining and improving operational processes
- Aptitude for automation and streamlining of tasks
- Strong English language skills and ability to work independently, as an effective part of a globally distributed team
- Willing and able to travel for meetings and site visits 4 times a year
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or the equivalent in related work experience
- Experience working in a primarily remote environment
- Familiarity with provisioning and managing Linux systems
- Familiarity with DCIM tools and processes
- Familiarity with network engineering, the networking community and peering arrangements
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record