Product Designer: WMF Growth team (Maternity cover – 6 month temporary contract)
The Growth team formed in July 2018 at the Wikimedia Foundation, and supports the Audiences department's "New Content" program, and, in turn, the long-term goal of greater "Knowledge Equity". These initiatives are about building strong communities that bring broad and deep content to people all over the world. One way to accomplish this is by engaging new contributors in Wikimedia projects.
The Growth Team's objective is to help grow and retain these new contributors.
The Wikimedia Foundation, the non-profit organisation based in the USA, that supports Wikimedia projects around the world, including Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, Wiktionary, and more.
We work closely with a network of volunteers and affiliates worldwide to develop content and inform our strategies and tactics.
As the acting product designer, the primary goal is to provide the Growth team with continued, uninterrupted design support as they iterate on three features simultaneously.
Overall strategic goal:
Drive growth and retention of new contributors in mid-size Wikimedia projects, starting with targeted mid-sized Wikipedia languages.
- Collaborate closely with the product manager in exploring and executing different design interventions for retaining new contributors on targeted mid-sized Wikipedia languages.
- Create both low- and high-fidelity mockups to communicate design approaches.
- Conduct evaluative user research to inform your design decisions
- Be an active part of the development team throughout the product process
- Be the voice of design in developing product plans
- Liaise and confer with the WMF Design team in ensuring Growth team projects are aligned and consistent with WMF design patterns and practices
- Document and provide clear handover materials to the returning Growth team designer
- 40 hour weeks during the contract period
- Join daily team meetings, conducted remotely (in-person available).
- Review design work with the Design team on a regular basis
- Growth team
- New Editor Experiences research (that informed the formation of the Growth team):
- New Editor Experiences overview page
- New Editor Experiences - Summary of findings report (August, 2017)
- New Editor Experiences personas (August, 2017)
- Design team
- December 2018: Recruitment
- Start of Feb 2019: start of contract, receive hand-off from departing designer
- Feb - June 2019: Work as primary Product Designer on the Growth team
- End of June 2019: Document and handover work to the returning designer
- Concept development and project priorities will be determined in collaboration with internal stakeholders, particularly the Product Manager for the Growth team
- The contractor will also participate and contribute to WMF Design team meetings
- Familiarity with Wikipedia contributors and working with WMF or other open-source communities is highly preferred
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply