Wikimedia Foundation is seeking a Systems Administrator to manage, support and improve office technical operational systems, networks and security. This position will be a member of the Office Information Technology Team.
A Systems Administrator is tasked with driving the technology that serves as the link between the day-to-day operations and the organization. The Systems Administrator will spend their day ensuring that systems used by Wikimedia Foundation staff (end-point management, servers, services, etc.) are running consistently by working on projects, Tier 2-3 escalation and resolution and documenting/updating Office Wiki. A successful Systems Administrator, will be able to partner with OIT staff and external vendors, prioritize personal workload, meet project deadlines, while keeping organizational priorities.
You will be resourceful in determining resolution and conveying this information both written and verbally. You will be working with a small highly communicative and collaborative Team where end-user support is a priority. Your goal will be to ensure that our technology infrastructure runs smoothly and efficiently. You will be working onsite out of our SF Headquarters.
The right candidate will:
- Have a passion for quality work
- Be driven to provide a high-level of customer service
- Have a record of successfully deploying and supporting systems
- Be a strong critical thinker and efficient problem solver
- Be able to interpret and convey technical information to non-technical audience
- Be able to communicate and work collaboratively with team members
- Be able to dig deeply into technical details, configurations, and scripting
The right candidate will be responsible for:
- Ticket support duties include serving as Tier 2-3. *Tier 1 back up as necessary
- Maintain and support physical network and systems infrastructure
- Maintain Security and Network processes, policies and infrastructure
- Document systems, processes and create “How-To” guides on the office internal wiki
- Be available on-site for Emergencies and/or Maintenance activities
- Assists in projects regarding strategic growth of OIT systems
- Working with vendors and outside contractors as needed
- At least 3+ years in an IT Systems Administrator role in a professional organization
- BS in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Information Systems or the equivalent in work experience
- Experience with the following tools and technologies:
- Cisco Meraki; VLANs, and Routing
- Google Suite, JAMF, Zendesk
- Ability to create and manage PHP, Python, Perl or other scripts
- DNS (bind), DHCP, LDAP, Puppet
- Virtualization technology such as VMWare, Xen or other
- Be comfortable in a highly collaborative, communicative and consensus-oriented environment
- Ability to assist in mentoring colleagues
- Awareness and support experience of FLOSS tools
- Assist in maintaining OIT workspace environment (including Server Room and Inventory)
- Must be onsite at least 80% of the work week
- Must be able to lift 20 lbs or more
- Experience with PGP and Security Best Practices
- Experience with AV equipment and networked audio DSP solutions, such as Q-SYS or Biamp
- Experience with BGP
- Experience with wikis and participatory production environments
- Understanding of the free culture movement
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record