Reports to: Chief Creative Officer
In 2016, the Wikimedia Foundation joined the Wikimedia movement to define a shared direction for our work. As a result, in 2017 we set out together with a new strategy -- to become the infrastructure of free knowledge. The pillars of this direction are knowledge equity and knowledge as a service. To achieve our goals in these areas we are looking for a marketing strategist who can expand our user base across our products, and grow our communities in new regions.
In the near term the Director of Marketing will review our current impact, examine our data practices, and create a product marketing strategy. And in the long term you will grow our awareness and use in developing countries and in underrepresented communities with an emphasis on diversity and retention.
As the ideal person, you are:
- A proven marketing strategist ready to build the foundation of a data-driven marketing program for Wikipedia products, and help bring free knowledge to millions of people around the world.
- An engaged collaborator who is equally comfortable rolling up their sleeves with day-to-day execution as they are to defining high-level vision and strategy.
- An ethical and creative solution finder who will be excited to advocate for our challenges while respecting the privacy of our readers and contributors.
You will be accountable for:
- Co-creating and executing a strategy and vision for transitioning people from awareness of Wikipedia to reading and contributing, and retaining them as long term users. This includes growing and diversifying those audiences around the world, closing the gap in emerging communities.
- Tracking data based measures of success across all efforts of the Communication’s department, setting benchmarks and reporting on key indicators.
- Supporting the professional growth, cultivation and development of a marketing team, design and build scalable workflows, systems and infrastructure reflective of a team that works in a global context.
You will join a growing and distributed team of highly collaborative and adaptive media strategists, marketers, writers and designers working to champion free information and knowledge around the world.
You will be directly responsible for:
- Building strategic product marketing capacities from the ground up, identifying needs in data and personnel, and negotiating with media partners.
- Outlining budgets to fulfill a global marketing strategy, from campaign plans to tools, staff, and agencies.
- Ensuring that strategic marketing initiatives align with the goals and vision of the organization, matching creative outputs with tangible performance indicators to meet objectives.
You will also oversee core marketing functions including:
- Implementing strategy including inbound marketing, campaigns, events, digital channels, and PR.
- Conducting user, market, and product research initiatives along with continuous analysis of competitive environment and consumer trends.
- Leading analytics for marketing and communications initiatives across the department, determining benchmarks and measures of success.
- Managing paid media plans and budgets to ensure adoption of products and campaigns.
- Managing social media presence and direct programs to improve social media reputation and recognition.
You will collaborate across the organization including:
- Working with the VP Communications to define a communications and marketing strategy and run a nimble, creative, and effective department.
- Collaborating with the Senior Global Brand Manager on a brand strategy to support organizational goals.
- Developing user insights and audience segmentation across multiple markets. Leveraging assets and stories into a narrative engine to fulfill objectives at a global scale and in key markets.
- Collaborate closely with the Wikimedia Foundation Analytics team to explain data and predict results.
- Working with Product leadership to co-develop a marketing strategy, defining measures of success and iterating appropriately to support international product and growth objectives.
Skills and experience
- 10+ years experience growing a multi-disciplined marketing team
- Measurable success in senior marketing roles
- Proficiency in establishing key goals, identifying effective ways to measure progress, and managing a team to achieve them
- Fluency with digital media and analytics tools, particularly Google Analytics, Google Ads, and Facebook Ads Manager
- Comfort in pulling and analyzing reports, and dealing with somewhat technical minutiae in complex tools
- Solid business acumen and analytical skills, including an understanding of key metrics and requirements relevant to a global brand
Qualities that are important to us as a team
- Resilience—we work on new and interesting problems in public and collaborative ways
- Being open, curious, and inquiring in our work
- Internal motivation and high standards
- Working together for outcomes, and being willing to let go to scale or change course
- Sharing a culture of constructive criticism and respect
- Experience growing a user base in Africa, India, or the Middle East is a huge plus
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Flexibility to work, when needed, throughout the week and weekend (i.e. events, conferences, emerging critical topics)
- Experience working with global nonprofit, international nongovernmental, or technology service organizations is a plus
- Fluency or familiarity with languages in addition to English are a plus
- Having lived or worked outside your country of origin is a plus
- Experience as a member of a volunteer community is a plus
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
….the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts.
We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
Wikimedia is the world’s fifth most popular digital platform, used in everything from secondary education to advanced computational research. Each month, around a billion people visit the Wikimedia sites, to learn about topics ranging from classical music to Bollywood stars to quantum mechanics.
While Wikipedia is the largest and best-known of the Wikimedia projects, it is only one part of our work. Other widely-used projects include Wikimedia Commons, which contains more than 40 million free media files, and Wikidata, an open structured and linked data repository with nearly 50 million items. We are also the primary developer of MediaWiki, a free and open source collaborative software platform. Wikimedia is:
- Around 300 languages;
- Written by 250,000 monthly contributors;
- Visited around 6,000 times each second;
- By roughly 1.5 billion devices every month.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location