Hours: 40 hrs/ week
Duration: 12 months
Travel Requirements: 30%, potentially more depending on business needs
The Wikimedia Foundation, the nonprofit that oversees Wikipedia, is committed to providing free knowledge for every single person on the planet. The Partnerships and Global Reach team builds partnerships with the goal to increase awareness and usage of Wikimedia projects in the Middle East, Africa, Latin America, Asia and Eastern Europe. Partnership and programmatic work in India can increase Wikimedia’s reach and accelerate the growth of our free licensed content in local languages and cultures in the country. This role will be crucial to design and implement a partnerships strategy for India, with a special focus on increasing usage, access, and awareness of Wikimedia projects, as well the availability of local relevant content. The Country Consultant will also work closely with the Regional Manager and the team actively supporting ongoing projects growing scale in the region. Join us and help grow the number of people who can freely share and participate in the sum of human knowledge.
We’d like you to do these things:
- Secure and manage strategic partnerships with regional/global technology companies with presence in India as well as local large-scale technology companies, mobile carriers, phone/tablet manufacturers, technology developers, and other similar private and not for profit mission-aligned stakeholders.
- Secure and manage partnerships with mission-aligned governments (ministries, regulatory agencies, public institutions, etc), international organizations, and other relevant stakeholders in the technology/education ecosystem.
- Develop scalable country growth strategies that increase the impact of Wikimedia's activities in India. Articulate plans within larger regional growth strategies forged by the team and the organization.
- Strategize and provide support for scaling ongoing partnerships in other countries to be implemented in India.
- Explore and evaluate new partnerships and initiatives that can significantly increase Wikimedia projects' presence in India.
- Build positive relationships with the local Wikimedia communities in India and the region, and collaborate with them around partnership opportunities.
- Represent Wikimedia in internal and external conferences and events as needed.
We’d like you to have these skills:
- Mission-driven individual with a passion for reducing the access to knowledge gap in India and the region.
- Alignment with Wikimedia’s values; comfortable working in a highly transparent, collaborative, and remote/distributed team environment.
- 5-8 years of experience in business development, marketing and/or strategy, including work in emerging countries work, ideally in both consumer and B2B.
- Previous experience on setting and executing strategic business development plans in the region, particularly in India.
- Experience building and managing relationships with relevant technology, internet, and industry-related stakeholders, mobile operators, phone/tablet manufacturers, governments, international organizations, educational institutions, and other private and not for profit relevant stakeholders in the technology/educational ecosystem.
- Problem-solving skills and flexibility to work cross-functionally and cross-culturally.
- Capable of managing multiple priorities and deadlines; have a structured approach and be geared to deliver results.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills needed to pitch and secure partnerships opportunities for local and global audiences.
- Be a truly team player; enjoying working with a small and highly collaborative team.
- Work and/or life experience in emerging countries.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English, in addition to any major Indic language (other local languages a plus).
- Currently residing in India.
- Full time availability for 12 months.
- Must be willing to travel internationally (roughly 20%-30% time) and work flexible hours to meet the requirements of global partner relationships.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent; MBA preferred.
Please include a cover letter describing your specific interest in this position.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply